We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallink Port, easy to get to?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tallink Port, easy to get to?

I am working on a schedule for Scandinavia and the Baltic. I have just noticed the day I plan on being in Tallinn on a day that two passenger cruise shps are in port. I can avoid this by travelling on a day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn and returning late in the evening. If I take the first ferry at 7 30 am and arrive back in Helsinki at 10 30 pm or 12 am is there any transport running in Helsinki to get to/from the hotel? I haven't booked a hotel at this time and plan on staying somewhere near the Central Station. Or, will I need to pay for an expenisve cab ride given the unearthly hours I need to get to/from the port.

Thanks

Edited: 26 March 2013, 23:53
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

Public transit is still running upon ships' arrival times. However, I don't see the reason for your concern for cruise ships being in the port. Cruise ships do not use the same facilities as the route ships. Moreover Tallinn passenger harbour has several terminals reducing congestion there. Cruise ship passengers do not use these terminals.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

The Tallink port is some distance from the city center but easily accessible with public transport, which is excellent in Helsinki.

Viking and Linda Line have rather more conveniently located terminals, within walking distance of the main cluster of sights in Helsinki. Another plus for Viking is that it gives you a closeup view of the Suomenlinna fortress islands as you sail through the Narrows of Gustav's Sword while entering and leaving Helsinki Harbor.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

We stayed at the Alfred. Couple of blocks from Central Station. Tram line a block from the hotel will drop you at the front door of the Tallink Terminal.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

Alfred? Probably Arthur: http://www.hotelarthur.fi/eng/ ;-)

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

Yeah, ok, I'm old...........sorry.

Yes it was Arthur.

6. Re: Tallink Port, easy to get to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:17