We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

My husband and I will be stopping for a day during a cruise with the Royal Caribbean. We would like to visit the following however we are unsure about the public transport to take.

Seurasaari Island- is there a direct bus from the west harbor?

The rock church

Esplanadi

Senate square

We still are undecided on which market to choose between Kauppatori and Hakaniemi. We are mostly interested in souvenirs and local snacks so would appreciate feedback.

Are all these sites doable in circa 5 hrs? Did me miss out on anything?

Many thanks

Daniela

Derry, NH
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Great questions. I'll be in Tallinn about the same time and will be taking a day trip to Helsinki. All feed back is appreciated.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

If you start in the morning you have enough time. Kauppatori is open till 18.00, and Hakaniementori till 16.00. I would give prioroty to Kauppatori, bacause Hakaniementori is better on special days (in May it is on 5th of May). However, you could still pay a visit there too.

First go to Seurassari. You will have to change trasport, but it is easy:

From West Harbour take tram 9 to Mannerheimintie, then change to bus 24, which ends up in Seurassari.

You can spend ca 2 hours there. Then take again bus 24 back to downtown. Visit the rock church. Then take a tram 9 again where you went off previously to the same direction to continue to Hakaniementori. Then I suggest you to have a walk back to Esplanadi and Kauppatori. After than visit the Senate square. And finally take tram 9 back to harbour.

This could be tough, but if you exclude Hakaniemi, then it should be enough. Great choice of places!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

"Then I suggest you to have a walk back to Esplanadi and Kauppatori. After than visit the Senate square. And finally take tram 9 back to harbour."

If you walk from the Hakaniemi market to the Kauppatori market place, you'll pass by the Senate square on your way, so no need for backtracking.

Also make sure, if your ship does not dock on the Hernesaari side of the West Harbour as the tram 9 does not serve that side of the harbour basin, but you'd be using bus #14 between Hernesaari and Kamppi.

Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Thanks for your replies :-)

Needham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Any tour companies for 1 day tour. We are taking a cruise & the tours are very expensive

Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Hi

My husband and myself will also be on a cruise ship and have a one day stop. From previous posts we concluded that it is easy to roam around alone since the points of interest are centrally located...except the open air museum, but that is only a short bus ride from the center. If you are interested in getting a tour however have a look at this link:

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/

You can also book a package including other stops you will be having with your cruise ship.

Hope this helps

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Vision of the Seas does according to the Harbour Authority classification dock in West Harbour, but as a traveller you'll be in Hernesaari. So ignore tram 9 and use bus 14.

Seurasaari is a nice 'walk in the park' type of site. OK, if the weather is fine, but there's nothing crucial to miss if the weather is not that great. Just wooden buildings from ~1800> and of course squirrels that come to fetch nuts from your hand or even your pocket.

Alla Tours may be good in St Pete, but something I've never heard of here in Helsinki. Better off DIY.

" mostly interested in souvenirs and local snacks"

For this I'd rather go to Hakaniemi Open Air Market and Market Hall. Much less cheesy handicraft in the 2nd floor. Reasonably good food too.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 07:53
Needham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Thank you. We have booked 6 tours with the cruise ship but feel a few of the cities could easily be done with local tours for a lot less money.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

As Polarbear advised, Alla Tours is a St.Petersburg based operator, so their experience with the other locations lies on usage of subcontractors which in most cases leadsi to higher fees than if you booked them directly with a local company. The offical tour shop for Helsinki is http://www.helsinkiexpert.com/ .

Needham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day stop in Helsinki- 15th May

Thanks for the website.