We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro train station to hotel transfer

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
44 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Allegro train station to hotel transfer

We will be arriving from St. Petersburg on the Allegro train. How far is the train station from the Holiday Inn at Elielinaukio 5 (Helsinki City Center)? Are the taxis metered, or do they have fixed fares for different destinations? How much should I expect to pay? Can the train conductor book a taxi for us while we are traveling? The SAPSAN train conductor for our ride from Moscow to St. Petersburg booked a taxi for us while approaching St. Petersburg and the taxi guy met us right in front of the train carriage at the train station. That was a very efficient and painless way to transfer to our hotel in St. Petersburg. I am hoping something similar exists for the Allegro in Helsinki too. I do not want to take the metro as i have a suitcase with me. Any and all info will be appreciated.

Byen
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

You don't need a a Taxi, the hotel is literally wall to wall to the train station: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189934-d274641…

Edited: 26 April 2013, 07:25
Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

The hotel is just around the corner, depending on the platform it's max 100 meters.

(It seems that TA has linked the wrong Holiday Inn to your post btw)

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

Just next to the station. When you leave the platform turn to the right to go out from the train station under ark. You will be on the Elielinaukio square and will see your hotel. Less than 5 minutes.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 09:53
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

There's a shortcut: if your train car is so far along the platform that you need to pass the elevator on the platform. Take the elevator downstairs and continue toward the way of bigger numbers. When you reach the end take the escalator or elevator up and go out on your right. The hotel door is about 20 m straight ahead of you. There's a taxi stand right in front of the hotel door too, but you won't need it of course ;)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
44 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

Thanks you all for taking the time to respond and help out. Out of the two full days that I will be spending in Helsinki, one is May 1. I sure hope everything is not closed on that day, forcing me to spend the day with my laptop. ;)

Edited: 26 April 2013, 18:34
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

Well, at least the day will be filled with colour, as May Day is the one day the Finns drop their famous reserve. They drink a lot, but generally they're in a good mood for the occasion, sporting their traditional student caps, often adorned with party streamers.

Suomenlinna is a good bet if the weather is fine, as is Seurasaari.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

On the 30th shops close at 18. Luckily threre's a 24/7 Alepa grocery at the end of the short cut underpass that I mentioned. The 1st is like a Sunday except that only a certain groceries are open, but as John mentioned, quiet it will not be. For participatig in a (swedish language) tradition, head for the Kaisaniemi park (right on the other side of the Railway tracks, the big gathering is at 10.00. Just follow the stream of white hats.

Thursday is again business as usual.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 06:50
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

"May 1. I sure hope everything is not closed on that day, forcing me to spend the day with my laptop. ;)"

That's the only real carneval day in Helsinki. Be prepared to have champagne with you and join the festivities in particularly Kaivopuisto. http://maps.google.fi/maps?q=Kaivopuisto,+Helsinki&hl=fi&ll=60.161305,24.958062&spn=0.01373,0.052314&sll=64.892958,26.0218&sspn=12.065581,53.569336&oq=kaivopuist&hnear=Kaivopuisto,+Helsinki&t=m&z=15

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

And if you are going to have some champagne, please remember that wine and spirits are only sold in Alko shops and they close at 18pm on 30th, won't be open on 1st!

In general on 30th there will be lots of celebration on Esplanadi area, where statue of Manta (Havis Amanda) will be washed and given a hat at 18pm (that's when all the shops will be closed). People will party quite late and on the next day it is a custom to go to Ullanlinnanmäki/ Kaivopuisto to have a picnic, some people bring baskets full of food and foldable chairs, blankets etc. so it may be a fun thing to see. There are a couple of cafes (Cafe Ursula, ursula.fi/kaivopuisto/site.php?page=122 and Cafe Carusel) in Kaivopuisto area, so even if you don't have anything with you, you can have nice brunch there.

Some info on 1st of May in Finland: saunalahti.fi/marian1/gourmet/season4a.htm

(In general, it is safe to travel on metro/tram with your suitcase. On May celebrations people tend to be drunk, but the city is still very safe place to hang around.)

Edited: 29 April 2013, 08:24
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allegro train station to hotel transfer

"And if you are going to have some champagne, please remember that wine and spirits are only sold in Alko shops and they close at 18pm on 30th, won't be open on 1st!"

Yep, and since you are coming from St Pete, I suggest you do the shopping of alcohol there.