We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop transportation question

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop transportation question

We will visit Helsinki for a day in May. I am confused about the best way to get from Hernesaari Harbor to Kauppatori. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle available? I read posts explaining the bus routes, etc., but found it confusing. Is it bus 14 or 14 B? Where is the stop? Are the sights walkable from Kauppatori? Where is the stop to return to the harbor? Is it the same bus number on the return trip? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Kauppatori
Kauppatori
771 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

From Hernesaari bus 14 takes you to Kamppi in 10 minutes. Kamppi is a mall in downtown Helsinki and there is the Kamppi Metro Station and Helsinki Bus Station in the same complex. From Kamppi you can take the tram 3T to the Market Place. You can also change from bus 14 to tram 3B at a stop called Perämiehenkatu in Eira district towards Olympia terminal and the Market Place (the signage of the tram will change into 3T on the way but you do not have to care about that). You can find the connections (and stops on a map) in the journey planner at http://tinyurl.com/c3o2ert . Return trip would be the opposite.

It would not be a too long walk (ca 1 km) from Hernesaari to the tram 3B stop in Eira, either.

The existence of a shuttle will only know your tour operator/shipping company. Anyhow it will most likely be more expensive than the one day ticket for Helsinki public transportation (available from the driver for 8 EUR (in cash, max 20 EUR notes accepted).

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

Thanks for your help. I think we will plan to take bus 14 to Kampii and then tram 3T. Is it easy to find the bus stop at the pier? We may plan to ride the loop of tram 3 T/3B and get off and on to see the sights. Does that make sense or should we take one of the hop on/hop off bus tours? Any suggestions would br appreciated.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

The tram tour does not have any commentary, so if you're ready to follow "guidance" by reading, it's a good way to see the main sights. The hop on hop off tours are much more expensive, around 29 EUR.

Finding bus stop in Hernesaari should be relatively easy. Walk away from the ship, the bus runs on Hernematalankatu and Hernesaarenranta. Stops are marked on a map in the website behind the link above. You can ask the driver to drop you off at Kamppi, to make sure you get off in the right stop. Kamppi bus stop is next to the metro station entrance. You should catch the bus on the opposite side of the street for the return trip. Bus 14 runs every 20 min until the summer schedules come into force in June.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 06:42
Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

Thanks so much! I think we will take Bus 14 to Kampii and try the tram route to see the sights. I was able to find the brochure on line that describes the sights. I see Kampii on that map. Do you know how long it takes to ride the entire 3T and 3B route without getting off? Also, how frequently do the trams pass each stop? Is there signage to mark each Tram stop? I am wondering ...If we get off to explore an area, will we be abke to find a stop to reboard and continue? When we finish the "tram tour" we would like to spend additional time walking around the Kauppatori area. Does it make sense to eventually walk towards Kampii..it doesn't look that far on the map...to take bus14 back to the pier or should we reboard tram 3T?

Mentioned in this post
Kauppatori
Kauppatori
771 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

"Do you know how long it takes to ride the entire 3T and 3B route without getting off?"

~1h

"how frequently do the trams pass each stop?"

Every 10 mins

" Is there signage to mark each Tram stop?"

Yes

"If we get off to explore an area, will we be abke to find a stop to reboard and continue?"

Getting lost is totally up to you. However most people are able to show where the nearest tram stop is.

"Does it make sense to eventually walk towards Kampii..it doesn't look that far on the map"

Hmm, if you take the park route thru Esplanade or the shopping route along Aleksanterinkatu then it makse sense to walk. It's 20 mins from The Market Place to Kamppi Center.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

Thanks for your help. I think we have a plan! We will do our best not to get lost while exploring. We will have the map and, if the tram stops have some sort of signage, we should be okay.

7. Re: Cruise stop transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:18