We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

NYC
Level Contributor
389 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

Hello!

I know this is a popular question and I did look at the top questions about Helsinki but still need some advice, please.

My friend and I are traveling on a Sunday at the beginning of June.

We were going to take Viking being that it was close to the city center but they don't offer a lot of sailing on Sunday's (we would like a morning ferry being that we only have one day & night in Tallinn). The two other ferries with more frequent sailings are Eckerö Line and Tallink. I know they are far from the city centre but are they easily reachable via taxi? We're not considering the Linda Line because we don't want to risk our ferry being cancelled.

Any recommendations on either Eckerö or Tallink?

I was also wondering if anything has changed since JohntheFinn's very helpful post on each ferry?

Also, can we wait until that Saturday when we arrive in Helsinki to purchase our tickets or should we purchase ahead of time? I read on TA that the weekends are more crowded so I wasn't sure if waiting was recommended.

Thanks!

Robyn.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

The area where Eckerö and Tallink leave from, is not that far away from the city centre. It takes about 10 mins by taxi or by tram 9 (or 6T) maybe 15 mins.

Eckerö has newer ship, but I have heard some critique on how things work there. Tallink is very efficient, if not extremely comfortable. I've sometimes travelled in their Business Lounge and it's much nicer there. If you don't want to hang out with the booze tourists, that or their new Star Comfort Class might be a good idea.

I would purchase the tickets in advance, just to avoid the hassle. It's much easier to compare prices and timetables that way. The ferry companies often have deals with Tallinna hotels and by buying a package trip you might save money. Even if you were not returning back to Helsinki, "hotellipaketti" = a two-way ticket with the hotel night(s) can be cheaper than buying a one-way ticket and a hotel separately.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

If both Eckeroline and Tallink currently leave from West Harbor, it is very easy to get there: tram 9 from Helsinki center for only 15 min. And trams operate from very early in the morning.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

I'd choose Tallink over Eckerö, especially at weekends. Eckerö is the favourite of the booze cruise set. If you find Eckerö is best for your timing, book a cabin as well. Or you could wait till the last minute and go with Linda - there is very rarely a problem getting a place.

NYC
Level Contributor
389 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

Thanks all!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

Tallink worked well for us. took an early boat and purchased our tickets and the breakfast in advance. Enjoyed our leisurely breakfast during the trip to Tallinn

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
3 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

I took the Tallink ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn and it was fine. I walked to / from the west terminal from my central hotel on Annangatan and it look ~20 minutes. It's an easy walk or you can do the tram (9 or 6). When I arrived back at 12:30am, I was concerned about walking home but found that it was no problem at all - there were other folks walking on the streets at that time and a fair amount of car traffic due to the ferry unloading cars and trucks. Plus since I was there in early June it was still light outside so no dark scary streets! I bought my tickets the day of the trip and had no problem getting on, but I was just a passenger - it might be more challenging with a car. The walk from the Tallinn ferry building to the Old Town was ~15 minutes so it was an easy trip all around!

7. Re: Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:15