We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help/approval!

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help/approval!

Like many people, my husband and I will be stopping in Helsinki on a cruise ship from 0900-1600. I have read many forums on TA and have gotten a lot of useful information. I have tried to ensure that I do not ask a question that has already been answered but sometimes it is just information overload! I could use a little help with the final planning stages of the trip....

We are docking in West Harbor (Melkki Quay). We will buy the 24-hour pass for transport. We are very young and can handle walking. We want to see the "major sites" and experience the local culture. Here is what we were thinking for the day:

1. Tram (6T) from terminal to Erottaja stop (beginning for Esplanande?)

2. Walk through Esplanande with detour through Design District to Kauppatori Market Square

3. Take ferry to Suomenlinna and Explore (1-2 hours?)

opens at 1000

4. Lunch at Old Market Hall

5. Explore Senate Square & Lutheran Cathedral (1 hour?)

(From this point it takes 45 minutes to get back to terminal)

7. Take 3T tram to Rock Church if time permits

Which I doubt there will be time for!

Is this itinerary doable in the time allotted and is there anything you would change? Thanks so much for your help!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

Hello and welcome!

You must calculate the exact hours, from when you are out of your ship, until when you must board it again. So in reality, you might have something like 5 hrs in total for sightseeing.

Of course, you want to see as much as possible, and although Helsinki is a very small compact city, still would concentrate on the main sights.

you might want to visit The Kauppatori, nearby Ortodox Cathedral Uspenski Cathedral, it is not Lutheran, then take a ferry to Suomenlinna, worthwhile definitely to visit. One hour or 1,5 should be sufficient. Then a nice lunch. If time permits take the Tram3.

Happy holidays !

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

It's about 500 - 900 m walk from the Melkki Quay to the West Terminal (depends on the exact docking point of the ship) where the nearest tram stop is (tram 9 and 6T). Notice, that you must use tram 9 instead of the planned 6T, as the tram 6T runs only in late weekend afternoons and evenings (at least until 16 June after which the summer timetables come into force). Also the Old Market Hall is closed until summer 2014 for an extensive renovation. I.e. you'll have to reconsider your itinerary. The tram 9 will run through Kamppi and from there to the Central Railway Station where you could change to the tram 3T and ride it to the Market place. Or walk through the town from the Railway Station to the Market Place (ca 1 km, passing by the Senate Square). See the Journey Planner at http://tinyurl.com/cfc2fpe .

Edited: 05 May 2013, 12:41
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

Thank you both for your help!

To morocco-- I did consider the time for disembarking and embarking the ship-- I was generous and gave and hour to each end. Hopefully we will have enough time to see it all.

zam72- Thank you for the link! I forgot to mention we will be there in the middle of July. That is a bummer about the Old Market Hall. Would you suggest switching to the tram 3T and riding that to Market Square or instead walk from railway station through town into the square?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

I'd reconsider visiting Suomenlinna; it takes a major part out of your time on shore.ealistically you should reserve some 3-4 hours to make the vist worthwhile.

Without Suomenlinna you'll have ample time to visit the sites in the center; like Lutheran and Orthodox Cathedrals, Senate Square, Maket Place and also Rock Church.

If you want to see design district, it would make sense to take tram 9 from the terminal to Kamppi and walk along Fredrikinkatu-Iso Roobetinkatu-Pieni Roobertinkatu-Korkeavuorenkatu to Esplanade and futher to the Maket Place. See http://www.designdistrict.fi/map

After visiting the center, take tram 3 to the Rock Church.

On the way back to your ship you may want to visit Hietalahden halli, where the Old Market Hall temporarily is located.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

I would probably opt for the walk - you'll see the Senate Square on the way. Not sure there's enough for you to look at square for an entire hour, as quite many of the buildings you can only look from the outside (except the cathedral and university library and main building, Kieseleff house (shops) and Sederholm house that houses the Children's City exhibition).

If you want to have a lunch at a market hall, the food vendors of the Old Market Hall are currently "on exile" in the Hietalahti Market Hall: visithelsinki.fi/en/stay-and-enjoy/eat/hieta… . It is located in the southwestern corner of downtown Helsinki, so in the same direction where your ship is going to dock, so it would be the best to visit either first or the last thing during your visit. The hall will be open Mon-Fri 8 - 18, Sat 8 - 16, on summer Sundays 10 - 16. Address of the hall is Lönnrotinkatu 34 . Another option would be the Hakaniemi Market Hall to which you can take a tram (1, 3B, 6, 7B to Hakaniemi/7A from there, 9) or the Metro.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

Thank you all so much for the help. I am so excited for this leg of trip!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

It would be a pity to miss Suomenlinna. It could be done in a minimum of 1½ hours if you take a tourist ferry direct to Kuninkaanportti (King's Gate) instead of the cheap city-owned ferry which docks far from the main points of interest.

Another possibility would be to take one of the several harbour tours departing from Kauppatori quay. This would at least give you a glimpse of Helsinki's many inner islands and you could have lunch aboard, using your meal time efficiently for touring.

8. Re: Itinerary help/approval!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:17