We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Hi,

I will be staying in Eurohostel (Slottsgatan 9, 00160 Helsinki, Finland, 09 6220470) for 1 night and then leave for St Petersburg next morning at 06:12 (Allegro 33). From my research, I think the tram operates from 6am onwards.

Does anyone know if there's any public transport I can take to catch my train at 06:12?

If Taxi, how much would it cost?

Many thanks.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Incorrect, if you are talking about Mon-Fri; aikataulut.reittiopas.fi/linjat/fi/h4_4t.html

It's a 20-25 mins walk, by taxi less than 10 €.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Thanks polarbearfin,

Its a Friday. But I have totally no idea on how to read the map as I am not familiar with the street/district names.

Not sure if I read correctly, the tram from Eurohostel leaves at 01:48, 05:42 and 05:54. Meaning it will be too late to catch 06:12 train...?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

According to Journey Planner

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?showsearchformsaved=hide&from_in=Linnankatu+9%2C+Helsinki&from=address*Linnankatu+9%2C+Helsinki*2554023*6673084&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=Rautatieasema%2C+Helsinki&to=poi*Rautatieasema%2C+Helsinki*2552414*6673664&hour=05&minute=40&timetype=departure&date_cb=tomorrow&day=7&month=6&year=2013&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=2&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=1&nroutes=3&gotoHash=

you would be at the main railway station 5:57 after walking 300 meters. Getting to the track and boarding the Allegro train will be some 300 meters of additional walking. So it is doable unless your baggage slows you down too much. However, there is little time for confusion. It would be good to buy the train ticket in advance and familiarize yourself with the route on the previous day. You would take the tram anyway if you go sightseeing after checking into Eurohostel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Thanks the_goodsoil_family,

Sounds too risky... >.< probably take a taxi... :)

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

If you are at the Railway Station at 5:57, there's ample time to catch the train

www.reittiopas.fi/fi/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

Thanks polarbearfin,

This 15 mins is making me very nervous as i walk pretty slow... Shorter legs i guess! =^_^= ok, will explore the area when i'm in Helsinki. Another question, if the tram is late, how fast does it take for a taxi to reach the train station?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

another question, is it necessary to buy the ticket now?

if i buy at the train station 1 day before, would the price still be 42,91 euro? (is this early bird price?)

many thanks

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

You need to buy the ticket at least a week in advance, and I wouldn't leave it even that late - this early train is popular and usually sells out.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
403 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

thanks JohntheFinn!!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport at 5am from Eurohostel to train station?

You have already checked wheter you'll need a visa to Russia or not?

No point in delaying to buy a ticket if you know that you are going to take that train.