We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

I am a US citizen and will be traveling by train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki next month. I understand I will not need a visa. My sister from Jamaica (not US citizen) will be traveling with me. Does she need a visa or is her Russian visa sufficient? We plan on being in Finland one day.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

She will need to apply for a visa to the Schengen area.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

The Schengen visa has to be applied from/to the country which will be the country of your main visit ( e.g. If you're going to be in Finland only for a day before continuing to another Schengen country (EU + EEA countries minus the UK, Ireland and Croatia + Switzerland), you should apply the Schengen visa where you'll spend the longest time). The visa will be valid for all Schengen countries nevertheless, but the border control may refuse entry if they suspect they that the visa has been "wrongly" applied for (for a wrong country).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

Thanks for the info. We may not be able to visit as time is short. She would have to apply for the Finland visa in Mexico as the representative in Jamaica is unable to handle this.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

Probably not feasible. It takes some time to get a Schengen visa, about a month from start of process to issuance in the last case I dealt with.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

Thank you

6. Re: St. Petersburg to Helsinkiby train-Visa needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20