We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Hi. We arrive at West Harbour (LMA Lansisatama?) on Sunday 25 August. We want to go to the Fort and from research I know I need to get a ferry from the Market Square (Kauppatori). It seemed to be a Tram 9 I needed to catch but using the Helsinki Regional Transport site's journey planner, it says I must use a Tram 6 and there is about 1km of walking to catch the tram and 1km when we get off and walk from Erottaja to the Market Square. The whole journey is only about 3km so any idea what I'm doing wrong please?! Your patience is appreciated :-)

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Neither nr 9 or 6 go all the way from Harbour to Market Square.

Nr 9 starts at the West terminal but you need to get out in Kaisaniemi. Nr 6 starts at hotel Seaside and takes you to the same Kaisaniemi stop, but comes through the Bulevardi.

See the map the journey planner goves you so you see the difference. The planner can give different options depending on the intervals of the tram, sometimes it calculates that walking to the end of nr 6 would be quicker than waiting for the next nr 9. So you're not exactly doing anything wrong, you are just given two different options depending on the starting time of your trip and your settings.

You can also set the plan for a minimum of walking -setting if you like.

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

As sead in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189934-i444-k6703… the winter timetables are not out yet... but tram 9 goes from West terminal to city also in August. And as MrsHelsinki said, neither of those trams goes straght to Kauppatori. But you can also get out from tram 9 in Main Railway Station (one stop before Kaisaniemi) and walk couple of blocks to Kauppatori...

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Mrs Helsinki/AnnikkP

Thank you. I think I have the hang of the journey planner now! I am confused about paying though. If we take a tram 9 from LMA can we pay on the tram or do I need to use a ticket machine at the tram stop? It think it is 2 Euros each and the children (under 16) are free. Does the machine take credit cards or Euro notes - or do I need to make sure I have correct coins? I think the ticket is valid for travel on trams only for an hour. Is that correct?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

You can buy a tram ticket (only available in the ticket machines) for 2€ each, or a single ticket for 2.20€ from a ticket machine or for 2.80€ from the driver. With a single ticket you can change also to another form of transport within an hour, with the tram ticket you can only use trams. The driver (and ticket machine) sells also 24h passes for 8€ that will be valid for all modes of local transport, also the Suomenlinna ferry. The ticket machine in the West Terminal accepts cash (both coins and bank notes) and credit and debit cards with a chip (+ PIN). The driver will accept only cash (max 20€ notes).

Different tickets and ticket types are explained at hsl.fi/EN/…default.aspx

Edited: 13 August 2013, 21:17
UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Zam

Thank you. I have been using the transport website - is seems very good! So if we are going to Suomenlinna - it is best to buy an 8 euro ticket from driver at Lansiterminaali for each adult. That will cover us for the trams to Market Sq and the return ferry to the island and the trams back to Lansiterminaali. Is that correct? I understand our children are free on the trams but we will need to buy them a ticket for the ferry (2.5 Euros). I think I have to purchase a paper ticket for the ferry for them from ticket machines at Kauppatori/market square? If so I assume the machine is obvious? Thank you for your time and help :-)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

You're otherwise right, but children's fares are for 7-16 year olds. Under 7 year olds travel for free, also on the public Suomenlinna ferry. Further info on children's tickets: hsl.fi/EN/…children.aspx .

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Thanks again!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

The winter schedule is on now, the Journey planner up to date.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

Thanks Mrs Helsinki - after your initial guidance I got to really like the planner - it's an excellent tool!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tram 6 or Tram 9 confusion?

It is. I never use any separate timetables :)