We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Hello.

I'm flying into Helsinki next week, and need to get to Turku (and then back again in a few days). I've looked at some options online (train and bus), but wondering if anyone has any first-hand information - and I'm considering travel time, comfort, and cost. I notice that Onnibus if far cheaper than the other options, but wonder how comfortable it is (because I'll probably have to be working on the way, on my notebook). Also, for all options, if one purchases tickets in advance to get a lower fare, and then one's plane is late, does one forfeit his ticket?

Thanks for any information.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

The vehicles of Onnibus are the same as those of any other long haul bus. For working on the buses you'd better have a 3G device with a local SIM card. Trains are much more comfortable than buses and InterCity and Pendolino trains have wifi and standard power outlets at each seat. For trains you should join the VR loyal customer club Veturi http://www.vr.fi/en/index/Veturi.html as they have often bargain campaigns. Currently there's an offer for Helsinki - Turku for 11€: vr.fi/en/…best_special_offers_29_0.html (valid on certain services only and limited availability).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Thanks very much for all of that info. I've been in Finnish trains before, and they are indeed generally comfortable.

The link you gave re: the discount tickets seems to indicate that sales are only until 1 July, however - so I've missed that.

The Onnibus is significantly cheaper than the train (approximately 10-15Euro vs. 40Euro), so I'll have to weigh cost vs. comfort.

Thanks agian.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Ah, so it seems. But VR has nowadays always some offers, now there's Espoo-Turku 10€: vr.fi/en/…best_special_offers.html . You can take a commuter train to Espoo with a regional public transport ticket).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Hmmm...too complicated to save 20 Euro :)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

One thing to notice about the Onnibus is that it does not go to the bus station or the centre of Turku but via Kupittaa and Turku airport to Raisio. You can see the route and stops at http://g.co/maps/fsmm9 .

Edited: 27 July 2013, 08:38
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

I'd probably opt the usual Matkahuolto long haul bus. There's no way to beat the door to door 2h 20 mins at 32 euro. The possible within stop transfer in Espoo is not such a big deal, they're well coordinated. If I should be working during the trip, this would be the most fluent way and I'd be aböe to put my brain into work, not travelling.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

And thanks AGAIN for the input!

I'm looking at the bus site - and it seems that only a few of them are 2 hours and 20 minutes. My flight arrives in at 13:05, and if I'm lucky I'll be able to make the 13:55 bus (2h45m) or the 14:20 (2h20m). Both are around 31,50.

However, I also see on the rail site that I can leave the airport at 14:10, take the bus to Tikkurila, then commuter train to Helsinki (short ride) and then bus to Turku, for 36,76 and total travel time of 2h50.

So a few more questions:

The train notes that there is a "pc seat in a working compartment." Does that mean for the price of the ticket or an extra cost?

Are there lavatories on the busses (Matkahuolto and Onnibus)?

If I opt for the super cheap Onnibus, how would I get from Raisio? Could I get off at the airport? How would I get to the center from there?

Thanks again!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

The working compartments on trains are included in the ticket price, just make the appropriate seat selection when booking. There are usually toilets on the long haul buses. Local bus #1 connects the airport to centre of Turku and onwards to the harbour.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

Thanks for the answers to everything above - much appreciated.

I also note I made a mistake in my last post:

"However, I also see on the rail site that I can leave the airport at 14:10, take the bus to Tikkurila, then commuter train to Helsinki (short ride) and then bus to Turku, for 36,76 and total travel time of 2h50."

I should have said bus to Tikkurila, commuter train to Helsinki, and TRAIN to Turku.

If the time of 2h50m is correct, I'm probably going to choose this option over the Matkahuolto bus, which is only marginally cheaper and marginally faster. I just have to decide if I want to save more money, and take the Onnibus instead, although their departures are less frequent.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connections, Helsinki>Turku, Turku>Helsinki

If you take the trin, there's no need to ride all the way to Hki main stattion. Change to the Turku in Pasila. Saves you alt least 15 mins