We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

Hello,

Sorry if this type of question have been answered before.

I will be arriving in Helsinki Airport around 23:35pm and will take bus 620 or 615 to Sörnäinen. From the HSL website, it stated that I can purchase day ticket from numbers of convenience store. But I quite confuse when it comes to 'single-charge card'.

Can someone help me to figure out how do I buy day ticket from airport at those hours? Can I buy from the machine or driver? Do I need 'single-charge card' beforehand? What is the validity of the card e.g I buy the 3 day ticket? Does the cost of Suomenlinna ferry included on this type of ticket? I plan to buy 3 days regional ticket...

Thanks in advance!

Tafe

p/s I might ask other questions next time, so I put very subjective 'subject'

Kuusamo, Finland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

At the airport There are blue ticket machines where you can bye tickets also for 3 days. And a shop called Alepa, which is open 24 h.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

You can only buy a 1-day ticket from the bus driver. For a 3-day ticket, you can go to the machines Anneli N mentions or any R-kiosk (there are several in the airport). This ticket does indeed include the Suomenlinna ferry, which is part of the city transport system.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 22:13
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,568 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

In most cases it is more economical to ride the bus from/to airport by buying single tickets and then separately a multiday ticket for Helsinki. I recon you need the regional ticket just for the airport.

1 day ticket is valid 24 hrs from the first use (time of purchase if from ticket machine).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

Thank you guys for your thoughts.

Are these R-kiosk open 24/7? So from polarbearfin explanations, it means if the 3-day card purchase on 23:30 18 October 2013, it will last until 23:30 21 October 2013 right?

So excited to see Helsinki!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,568 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

3 days = 72 hrs, no matter when the use starts. R-Kiosk has always been open at airpport when I've ben there. Not necessarily 24/7, but open when there is action at the airport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

Such a relieve, polarbearfin!

Thank you so much! Will post here again when I have further questions.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

As mentioned above, the Alepa supermarket sells bus tickets and is open 24/7. It's on the arrivals floor in terminal T2.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

The R kiosks at the airside of the terminal 2 are open until 23:00, on the landside they close at 20:30, but the already mentioned Alepa in the arrivals hall 2B (landside) is open 24/7.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

Great guys! Will definitely hit Alepa before taking my bus.

Does Alepa have prepaid sim card? I've searched numbers of prepaid sim card. Do you have any recommendations for the best sim card? I only need data plan to help me navigate Helsinki, updating picture or status in Facebook and little bit of emails.

Tafe

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I Need Your Advise, Helsinki, October 2013

I will be visiting Helsinki too for 3 days in early Sep.

Can you please help to explain more on the 1 day and 3 day pass. My plan is to take a bus from airport to a hotel in the city centre and to tour around the city for a day, what is the best option please ?

In addition, how can I get from city centre to Porvoo by bus and can the day pass cover this area ?

Many thanks