We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltic Tour

chester
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Baltic Tour

Hi, hoping to get some advice.......

I'm trying to plan a trip with my wife to take in some of the main cities in the Baltic area probably next May/June. Couldn't find a forum for Baltic but the Finland forum seems the most active, so thought I would post here!

The four main cities I had in mind were Vilnius, Riga, Tallin and Helsinki. Having said that I would love to visit St. Petersburg but don't know if it would be too much. I was thinking of a couple of days in each city, that way I could probably do the tour in week may be a bit longer. If I take in St. Petersburg that it would definitely have to be two weeks.

It seems pretty easy for me to fly into any of the 4 cities from the UK although the Helsinki route appears much more expensive on first look.

I was thinking of flying to Helsinki, boat to Tallin, bus to Riga, bus to Vilnius, fly from Vilnius home? Or I could do it the other way around, not sure it matters?

Could someone suggest the best order to visit the cities particularly if I decide to take in St.Petersburg? I like boat travel but also happy with train. The boat trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg could be interesting but no idea how I would get back on route without a long journey from St. Petersburg - not sure I fancy doing that by bus!

Thanks for any pointers

Mike

Finland Local Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Royal Line
Sightseeing Tours
Free Walking Tours Helsinki
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltic Tour

The Baltic capitals and Helsinki you can do in either order, it won't make a big difference (except that on Finnair it's cheaper to book a return flight than a oneway ticket. Norwegian flies LGW-HEL route on which you may be able to find cheap offers).

Budget at least 3 days for St. Petersburg. You can take the ship there ( www.stpeterline.com/en/OnBoard/News.aspx ) from Helsinki or Tallinn (return journey only to Helsinki). If you want to benefit of the up to 72 h visa freedom, you'll have to arrive and depart from Russia by a ship. The fastest option would be to take the Allegro train ( vr.fi/en/…allegrotimetables.html ) from Helsinki (visa required). From St. Petersburg you can take a bus to Tallinn ( http://www.luxexpress.ee/en ), or a train back to Helsinki and a boat to Tallinn.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 22:03
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltic Tour

I reckon two days in each of the 4 capital cities you mention would be quite gruelling and superficial. I'd cut one city out if you only want to spend a week. You might, for example, postpone Helsinki for a later trip, maybe in combination with St. Petersburg.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltic Tour

Second JohnThe Finn. Your time will seriously be eaten by traveling from A to B. A week for 4 cities is a bit short. Stick to Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius or Helsinki and St Pete.

chester
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltic Tour

Thanks everyone.

Zam72....I hadn't realised there was a visa free option for St. Petersburg but I guess I would probably benefit by a longer stay here to make sure I take in all the major attractions in.

johnthefinn and polarbearfin.......I think you are right, not giving myself enough time to do the cities justice, I think I will split this into two trips, although could possibly do it all in two weeks but might need a holiday when I get back!

Thanks again

5. Re: Baltic Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17