We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Finnair a nightmare?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HK
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Finnair a nightmare?

I will visit Slovenia and Croatia next June by Finnair and will stop at Helsinki for one or two days on my way back to Hong Kong. But, there're so many negative reviews about Finnair. People say some economy seats have no recline. I don't recline back my seat too much since it could be quite annoying to the passenger sitting behind. But I don't want to be trapped for 9 hours in my seat on flight. Is Finnair so worse? Do I need to switch to other airlines? Dear Finns, please give me some advices!

Boston
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

Finnair seats in economy do recline and HEL is an excellent airport to transfer than, let's say, London or Frankfurt. I fly Finnair from North America to Asia and I have nothing to complain about the airline.

2. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 06:30
Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

Erm, the title of your post has little to do with your question.

I have flown on many different airlines and have had a broken seat twice so that can happen, but I have never had a broken or non-reclining seat on a Finnair flight.

Unless I can find a very cheap ticket from low-cost carriers such as Ryanair, for me Finnair is the #1 choice to fly to Europe. Many other flights are Finnair code share anyway.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

Finnair long haul flights are OK, much better than their European service. I'd rate Finnair as average as long haul operator, a bit below average with European flights. HEL is a very good and reliable airport. If you look other options, I'd avoid LHR and CDG, FRA is not that bad and MUC is very good.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

I've flown to Hong Kong from Europe many times with various airlines and always found Finnair rather better than average. I've never had a Finnair seat that didn't recline, nor have I heard of such. You need have no fears.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

I just wonder where did read your reviews? Finnair was voted as the best airline in Northern Europe, and has received 4 stars in the Skytrax rating: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/AY.htm . All aircraft on all airlines have seats that do not or have limited recline - they are those in front of an exit row, as for safety reasons these seats do not recline (to not to obstruct the emergency exit).

Boston
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

The complaints I read about Finnair come mostly from business class passengers especially on the HKG route. For example, Finnair uses ex-Air France planes with old business class seats on routes to HKG and SIN but put their best and newest planes with flat beds on leisure routes such as BKK or short flighst like DEL. Also, business class passengers complain about Finnair Lounge in HEL since they pay for Champagne and cocktails (wine and draft beer are free) and food offering in the lounge is minimal compared to what you'd get at a BA or LH biz lounge. Biz class passengers also complain that Finnair often overbooks Y class in popular routes and then upgrades passengers to business (lucky for Y passengers but not for those paying business fares).

The other complaint I hear are from the Finns themselves (and for a good reason). Finns pay more to fly, let's say, from HEL to HKG than a Swede who boards a flight from ARN and then connects on the same HEL-HKG flight. But Finnair is not alone in this, all airlines do the same.

BTW, I've flown on ex-Air France planes to HKG. Although they look old and tired, they're fine. Besides Finnair has a very good safety record.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 12:13
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

These old French ladies (or harlots as the crew calls them) can be on any route, as Finnair circulates their A340's between the routes and there's no guarantee what it will be until you see it at the gate. You can check what the best seats are in advance at seatguru.com/airlines/Finnair/information.php (you can book a seat against a fee, or in the online check in for free (up to 36 h before the flight).

Edited: 03 October 2013, 13:31
HK
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

I read the negative reviews are from www.airlinequality.com/Forum/finnair.htm

Viewing the negative comments, I was stunned how a country famous for her education, creativity, humane society, I can't believe management of her national flight is left behind so much.

To me,Finland is an ideal country,

Finns are honest and trustworthy. I do believe your commrents. The negative ...

I stick to my original Finnair and hope I have no nightmares afterwards!

10. Re: Is Finnair a nightmare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 16:35