We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise day in Helsinki

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise day in Helsinki

This is a thread regarding the information one needs when visiting Helsinki for one day (about 10 - 17 o'clock) from a cruise ship. It is based on the numerous questions asked in previous years, but feel free to ask more if you can't find it in this thread.

I understand it's daunting to write extensive reviews about every town you visit, but we and other visitors would appreciate a short note explaning what sights you ended up visiting and what you recommend for others.

BEFORE YOUR TRIP:

Search Trip Advisor :-) Read the Things to do and Restaurants sections for reviews from other travellers.

Change some euros. It's the official currency of Finland. Though plastic is very very common too. Visa and Master Card are accepted virtually everywhere excluding some ice cream kiosks, market place vendors and Cafe Regatta. Diners Club and Amex are accepted mostly, but not that extensively.

Check the weather: http://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Helsinki en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/weather/helsinki or current rain scan http://testbed.fmi.fi/

97 replies to this topic
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

A new option for music lovers: Sibelius Finland Experience at the Musiikkitalo Concert Hall. Daily at no from June 17th to August 8th. Not during Midsummer June 20th to 22nd.

visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/events-in-helsi…

musiikkitalo.fi/en/event/sibelius-finland-ex…

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

I had the chance to visit the reopened Old Market Hall. No big visible alterations, the ceiling lighter, but no doubt a lot of 21st century wiring somewhere underneath.

Lots & lots of cafe's. Plenty of options for lunch, including sandwiches with fish, salmon soup & the famous bouillabasse of Soppakeittiö. Fish vendors have their previous places & some great additions (for instance tables for eating), but if I counted right only 1 meat vendor so far. I gues Roslund stays in Hietaniemi for a while. Bakeries sell all kinds of bread and sweets, the local products are well represented. Traditionals are a "lihapiirakka" a savoury meat & rice filled pie of yeast based dough, "pulla" buns (of a sweet yeast dough) or a "korvapuusti" cinnamon roll.

I also checked the food stalls on the Market Square. A variety of warm dishes & tables to eat them too. Price range about 8 -16€, dishes include some with salmon, reindeer or vendance, if you're up for our wild stuff.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 07:56
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

OPTIONS OF A SIGHTSEEING TOUR

* use the public transpost system. For instance the tram line 2/3 is a 8-shaped circular route around the central parts of town visithelsinki.fi/en/…travel-around-city-tram

* the Spårakoff red beer tram http://www.koff.fi/sparakoff and in English visithelsinki.fi/en/…sparakoff-pub-tram-0

* the vintage tram tours stadinratikat.fi/english/museoliikenne.html

* the Strömmä Hop on Hop off -service tripadvisor.fi/Attraction_Review-g189934-d21… or stromma.fi/en/…

* The Helsinki Expert (official tourist service) Panorama Audio Tour visithelsinki.fi/en/sightseeing-trips-and-gu…

* Free Walking Tour https:/…freewalkingtourhelsinki

Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
245 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

I am having a difficult time printing a good Helsinki Map. A couple questions:

1. How far of a walk from Tempelioukio Church to the Market Place

2. How far of a walk from Market and Espanade walk back to Hernesaari Cruise Terminal.

3. I assume the new Finn-Air Sky Wheel is near the Market Place

Thinking of a taxi to the church from the terminal then walking back to Market Place, but looks a lttle far.

By the way, Mrs. Helsinki, your up- dated three page reponse to my posting in late April is absolutely AWESOME! KIITOS!!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

Thank you, you're welcome!

The Journey planner http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/ has an option for cycling and walking (choose either the link in the pink bar or click the green bicycle logo a bit right from the usual Search button). This gives the distance between the church and Market place as 2.1 km = 27 minutes = 2 pieces of chocolate. I'm afraid the distances have only a metric option (in kilometres), but the maps next to the results have printed well for me previously. The route from Temppeliaukio to the market goes through the heaviest shopping possibilities, this is not considered in the time frame given ;-)

3. Yes the wheel is just about 100 m east from the market place.

I'd say tram to the church, walk/ ride trams during the day & save the taxi for the ride back to the harbour.

Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
245 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

Mrs. Helsinki: First of all, Kiitos, for the web- site for the jouney planner; most helpful. I do hesitate to send this post for being such a "pest". A decision has been made on our itinerary for the day, but a couple questions.

After arriving at West Harbour (Hernesaari) plan to use tram (#9?) to do the free audio tour on tram #2/3. After the tour spend the rest of the day in Market Squre area before returning to the Celerity Constellation in port. I have the colored transportation map so have a vague idea where the lines go on the limited space of a print out. Can you please tell us exactly:

1. Where to get the #2/3 tram from #9

2. Are the audio guides available on the tram

3. After tour, where to get off closest to Maket Square

4. Taxi or tram back to port? If tram, where/what numbers of tram(s) to get back to port

5. How often do the trams run

6. Price/easiest way to pay for tram(s)

Kiitos so very much!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

6. Ticket info: https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares You can buy tickets from the driver (cash 20€ bills max) or from a vending machine at the harbour (credit cards ok). A day ticket would be 8€, once you have that, you don't need to think tickets any more. There are also single and tram tickets if you are sure you will be using transportation only twice.

5. Trams 9 & 3 run every 10 minutes at the times you are out and about. Slight variation is expected due to other traffic and long routes. The stops have a screen that shows the current waiting time.

2. There are no audio guides on tram. The line is a normal public tram line. But there is a leaflet explaning the route (direct link to a up to date pdf here: https:/…helsinki_sightseeing.pdf ) And there is an outdated audio guide by a third party online: www.dewhurstdesigns.co.uk/helsinki/tips.html

So you need to download the file to your own device beforehand. The route of the line changed a few years ago and the numbering changed. What used to be the 3T part of the route is now line 2 and 3B >3. Most of the line is as it is on the file so it is still usable (I guess, haven't checked it myself).

1. & 3. Lines 9 & 2 cross at the Simonkatu stop for the first time and also at the Railway station. My recomendation would be to hop off the 9 at SImonkatu and change to the 2 going towards Nordenskiöldinkatu (Töölö). This means you need to change to the opposite pier on the stop to get the right tram. Then do the loop, but get off at the Eteläranta (just before the old market hall) or Kauppatori (at the market place) stop to reach the market place. If you want to pop at the rock church, Sammonkatu is the stop for that.

4. Depends on your energy level & schedule. From the market place area get to the Railway station (with tram 2 or by walking) and change to line 9. The closest taxi stand is along the Northern Esplanade, next to hotel Kämp or at the Senate square along the Aleksanterinkatu.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 20:31
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

I just have to mention this local kiosk, a passionate temple of salmiakki, our salty liquorice https://www.facebook.com/Salmiakkikioski… The Salmiakkikioski on Runeberginkatu 43, a little bit further from the Rock church. I recommend it to adventurous gourmands, people suffering from low blood pressure, capsicum enthusiasts or just anyone wanting to have a cup of our most popular coffee Juhla Mokka, with or without salmiakki on top. The host a huge variety of different products, from a wonderful network of producers. Some of the candy I bought today was made yesterday!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_liquorice

There's a tram stop (Apollonkatu) right in front of it so it's easy to hop back on the nr 2.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 11:58
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

I went to the salmiakki kiosk once during the advertised opening hours and it was closed, with no indication of why or when it would be reopened. Not very impressed.

Nykoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Cruise day in Helsinki

Thanks for all of this very useful information! Is this yelp.com/biz/hakaniemen-kauppahalli-helsinki… the same place as the Old Market Hall you previously recommended?

Reply to: Cruise day in Helsinki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted