We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midsummer

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Midsummer

Hi. A friend and I booked a trip to HEL from June 19 to 23d. We knew it was midsummer but did not realize that this also meant that the city basically closes down during those days. I tried to book a table at at least 12 restaurants, all closed. So, if bonfires are not really your main interest (don't mind watching them for a couple of hours though and partake in the festivities), is it a good idea to go ahead with the trip ? Any suggestions for restaurants or places to eat ? What should/can we do ?

Thanx !

Toca
££ - £££, Italian, European, Fusion
Finnjavel
££££, European, Scandinavian
Finlandia Caviar
££££, Seafood, European, Scandinavian
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midsummer

You could take a stroll in the city centre and see it with a lot fewer people than normally. Senate Square looks the same even on public holidays, as does the Sibelius Monument in Sibelius Park, which is on the way to Seurasaari island (where the bonfires will be). Boats will be running to the Suomenlinna fortress islands, where at least some services will be open.

For restaurants, at least Kynsilaukka boasts it is open 365 days a year, but you'd better like garlic. www.kynsilaukka.com/garlic/index-e.html

Mentioned in this post
Senate Square
Senate Square
2,598 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
The Sibelius Monument
The Sibelius Monument
683 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midsummer

Restaurant SUnn will be open at the Senate Square; http://ravintolasunn.fi/special-days-sunn/

Mentioned in this post
Senate Square
Senate Square
2,598 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midsummer

Hi, I will happen to be in Helsinki on midsummer day this yr - 20/6/2015. I understand that most of the museums, shops and restaurants will be closed. Is there anything to do at all?

Does anyone know if the churches will be open? ie. Temppeliauko, Uspenski or the lutheran church?

What about the huge http://www.verkkokauppa.com/ store in the harbour area?

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midsummer

I would be astonished if Verkkokauppa could compete with Singapore prices, but in any case, you won't find consumer goods shops open on this important public holiday. During the daytime, your best bet will be to head to the Suomenlinna islands as most of the interesting stuff there is outdoors. One other possibility is to take an evening cruise on the tour boats at Kauppatori which will give you a great view of the bonfires at Seurasaari, but bear in mind that these get booked up fast. IHA-lines is my favourite of these: http://www.ihalines.fi/new/wordpress/

Mentioned in this post
Kauppatori
Kauppatori
781 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midsummer

I'm afraid Kynsilaukka has closed and the Birrificio that replaced is closed Sundays at least. At least Sunn on the Senate square is open every day.

I've written to the tourist board and asked for a list of open services & events on midsummer. They had one like that for easter.

Last midsummer we ended up visiting at cafe Regatta. There was an accordion player & Santa Claus visiting + a fire for roasting sausages (can & should be bought on the spot). Not a bad choise either.

Mentioned in this post
Senate Square
Senate Square
2,598 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Cafe Regatta
Cafe Regatta
1,331 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
784 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midsummer

Chain of Royal Ravintolat restaurants have published a summary of how they are open. https:/…1807

At least Cafe Strindberg and Restaurant Teatteri (both at Esplanade) are open every day during midsummer.

For special events, this summary has been published in visithelsinki:

visithelsinki.fi/en/…midsummer-in-helsinki

Mentioned in this post
Strindberg
Strindberg
413 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midsummer

Thanks for all your replies!

Most of the activities seem to be with regards to midsummer eve actually. Guess there really isn't much to do on midsummer day itself. Prob just wander around and marvel at the empty streets. Seems that Suomenlinna might be an option as well. As for food, I presume most hotel restaurants should stay open ... else there's always McDonald's I guess. It's the same situation really in Singapore every Chinese New Year/ the eve.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midsummer

Actually it isn't that hopeless as we seem to believe. The tourist board has a list of events & open restaurants during the holidays & will post it on this page this or next week:

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/events-in-helsinki/midsummer-in-helsinki#listing_id=52359&date_start[date]=10%2F06%2F2015&mode=list

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midsummer

A few places open on midsummer day, the 20th:

Didrichsen art museum, Urho Kekkonen (former president) museum Tamminiemi, Linnanmäki amusement park (free to wander aroud + the panorama lift is free), botanical gardens at Kaisaniemi (greenhouses closed), the Cathedral & the Rock church, most museums in Suomenlinna. Sightseeings by bus , spårakoff & boats are running & over 20 restaurants are open so I guess no need to stay in your hotelroom after all.

Mentioned in this post
Rock Church
Rock Church
7,001 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midsummer

& special tip: the outdoor swimming pools (+sauna) at the swimming stadium and Kumpula

tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowUserReviews-g189934-d…

tripadvisor.fi/Attraction_Review-g189934-d21…

visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/activ…