We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki in 3-4 days

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Helsinki in 3-4 days

Hi

I'll be in Helsinki from 19-22 September. I would like some recommendations on what to do there for 3-4 days.

I am interested in -

music

art

culture

gardens

animals

food

sightseeing

What's the best and most economical way to get from the airport to my hotel in the city.

Would it be worth it for me to take the boat to Tallin or would this be too much of a rush as I'm only in Helsinki for a short time.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

For your interests, look here: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en

Most economical way from the airport: buy a regional ticket from the driver (cash) or the vending machine at the airport stop for bus 615, use same ticket on whatever public transport you need in the town centre.

Tallinn: definitely worth a day trip or overnight stay. The ferry operators all sell day-trips. It's also worth looking at the ferries' transport + hotel packages, which can be a great bargain.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

The ferry trip takes two hours, so it can definitely be done in a day. The old town is about 15 minutes walk from the ferry terminal.

In Helsinki, I visited Suomenlinna - a short ferry ride from the harbour - worth a day out there. I also took a day trip to Porvoo, a medieval town about 50kms from Helsinki. You catch a bus from the main station. There is also good shopping, a couple of cathedrals and museums. Eating out is expensive, even street food from the market. Regardless, I really enjoyed Helsinki and wouldn't say no to a return visit.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

I second simone_a13's suggestion of Suomenlinna, definitely a good way to spend an afternoon. If you can afford the time and train ticket, Turku could be a good day trip to check out their cathedral, castle, and art museums.

I found the street food by the ferry docks to Suomenlinna pretty good and not too expensive. The restaurants in Helsinki off of the main esplanade can be expensive, perhaps a place to splurge if you want to try reindeer. The park area by Kaivopuisto offers a pleasant view of the harbor, and there are a few cafes along the walk to take in the view. The walk is particularly nice near the Russian embassy, which is just north of the park.

Hope you have a great time, Helsinki is fantastic!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

Great suggestions-

Buy a day ticket for public transport

This ticket will also take you on a local ferry from the very nice harbour area, close to the fab cathedrals, to the island, Suomenlinna. This is our favourite place. It takes from 1 to 2 hours or longer to walk round, depending on whether you stop for a coffee or beer, and how long you admire the views for. It is spectacular to see the big ferries come in though the very narrow channel next to the island.

A night in Tallinn is well worth it, though do not go on at the weekend,

Windsor, ON
Level Contributor
26 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

A couple of places I'd recommend:

Market Square downtown - open all day, great food, lots of souvenirs, nice atmosphere, not expensive (a plate of food might cost 10euro).

Hakaniemi Market - NE part of downtown, nice large area outside with vendors, and a very nice, old school feel inside. Two floors, lots of food and souvenirs look at. A restaurant is included (quite small, but comfortable). Well worth a look for a bit.

Fokka Restaurant - if you're on the west-side of downtown, go to the Fokka restaurant inside the Holiday Inn West Ruoholahti. Great food, reasonable prices. Very nice place for dinner.

6. Re: Helsinki in 3-4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17