We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki Airport to Kuopio

Birzebbuga, Malta
1 post
Save Topic
Helsinki Airport to Kuopio

So, I'll be arriving at Helsinki Airport at 18:35 in the afternoon on Sunday 3rd August. I would like to catch a bus or train to Kuopio as soon as I land in order to make it there either late the same night or early Monday morning.

I am looking for the cheapest option as I am an overseas student.

Can anyone help me and offer any tips?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki Airport to Kuopio

Go to www.vr.fi/en and search for a connection there. You can enter "Helsinki All" as your departure point and Kuopio as the destination and search for connection. Then you'll see a drop-down menu on the top part of the result page saying "Several stations found - please select a station". From this drop-down menu you can choose Helsinki airport. The problem is that the last train to Kuopio will depart from Tikkurila at 19:28, so you'd have to hurry (the bus to Tikkurila station will depart at 18:50. You can just make it if you take a taxi at 19:00 at the latest to Tikkurila station - it's about a 15 min drive). A normal priced Pendolino train ticket from Tikkurila to Kuopio costs 66.70€ and a single bus ticket from the airport to Tikkurila station 3€. The taxi ride will set you back for about 25-30€.

The last bus from the Helsinki airport to Kuopio will depart at 20:00 (arriving in Kuopio at 02:15). See the timetable at http://goo.gl/4ZqVeA . A normal priced bus ticket costs 66.30€.

Cheap bus operator Onnibus serves Helsinki - Kuopio route daily. See their timetable at http://www.onnibus.fi/reitit-ja-aikataulut/ . The last service leaves from Kiasma Museum of Modern Art at 23:30 (the only one you can make it to) and arrives in Kuopio at 5 am. Tickets are cheapest when bought in advance on the internet (usually from 8€ but occasionally even from 1€!). Currently they sell tickets only until the end of August (Helsinki-Kuopio timetable is valid 1 July - 31 August).

Another cheap bus operator Onniexpress has also a Helsinki-Kuopio service but only on Friday and Sunday afternoons: www.onniexpress.fi/reitit-ja-aikataulut.html . It departs from Helsinki bus station in Kamppi. Also their prices start from 1€ when bought in advance on the internet.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 17:14
2. Re: Helsinki Airport to Kuopio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 07:16