We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

I'll be in Helsinki the last week of Oct and wonder if the ferries to Tallin run regularly at that time of year. Would more time in Tallin versus Helsinki be a better plan? My week is flexible and I have to be in Amsterdam the following week so could possibly fly to Amsterdam from Tallin rather than Helsinki. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

The ferries run year-round with the exception of Linda Line, which I would not recommend for October as its small vessels result in cancellations in poor weather.

Tallinn and Helsinki are entirely different in character. I can't say which city you'd prefer to spend more time in, but a little general reading will help you to make up your mind.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

Thanks. I'll probably divide my time between the two cities. Should I purchase a ferry ticket in advance or is it possible on the day I am traveling? Can you recommend a ferry company? I've noticed Viking, Eckeroline and Tallink. Are they all large ferries?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

"Viking, Eckeroline and Tallink. Are they all large ferries?"

All of those operate big vessels. Overnight in Viking in Tallinn harbor is a cost efficient alternative to a hotel for the 1st night.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

In general, I recommend Viking. Its big advantage is that it gives the best possible views of central Helsinki and Suomenlinna.

There's a good run-down of the relative merits of the Helsinki-Tallinn ferries here: tripadvisor.com/…48120731

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

You can get a ticket on the day of travel but they whack you with a 'service charge' of between 5 and 8 euros, depending on the operator.

6. Re: Helsinki in October/ferry to Tallin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:17