We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the love for Turku?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the love for Turku?

I am shocked to see so little on here about Turku. 35 lousy posts, mostly looking for jobs (something I have never seen before on TA). And few reviews of attractions.

We're spending a couple weeks in Scandinavia in June, and on one Wednesday night we will be taking the ferry from Stockholm to Turku, arriving at 7:45 AM and then leaving the next day around 10 AM. It seems to me there is much to see in and around Turku, especially the Cathedral, Castle, and Handicrafts museum (which Lonely Planet called one of the best museums in all of Finland). So how come there's so little on here?

On out trip - I did have a few questions:

* What's the best way to get from the ferry dock to the Radisson Blu Marina hotel?

* Is it plausible to see the Cathedral, Handicrafts museum and Castle all the same day?

* It will be the Thursday before Midsummer. I know everything is basically closed Fri-Sat, but it looks like most will be open on a Thursday, correct? Will restaurants be closing that night?

Thanks for the help!

Turku Castle
Castles, History Museums
Turku Cathedral
Historic Sites, Educational sites, Sacred & Religious Sites
Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova
Art Museums, Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Speciality Museums
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

* Is it plausible to see the Cathedral, Handicrafts museum and Castle all the same day?

Sure, no problem.

* It will be the Thursday before Midsummer. I know everything is basically closed Fri-Sat, but it looks like most will be open on a Thursday, correct? Will restaurants be closing that night?

Thursday is a normal business day regarding shops, restaurants etc. Most restaurants will be open normlly Thu night and many restaurants are open thruout the Midsummer. It's one of the heaviest drinking seasons and not everyone is having plastic bag beer outside the city :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

Probably there are so few posts about Turku because cruise ships don't call there (just look how many posts there are for what-should-I-see-on-a-cruise-visit) and by far the largest international airport in Finland is in the Helsinki area (ditto for what-can-I-do-on-an-8-hour-layover). Once these posts have been deducted from the Helsinki forum, the numbers of posts for these two cities don't look so disproportionate.

Turku is a great little city, agreed. I suggest you walk along the river from the cathedral to the castle and allow plenty of time as there are many discoveries to be made along the way.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

Thanks for the replies. It's just odd, a city of a decent size, with an intriguing history and well-regarded sites - usually tripadvisor impresses me more than this. Nevertheless, we are super excited to spend even 24 hours there.

About transportation from the dock...can one bring luggage onto a city bus? Or is a taxi our only choice?

Thanks again!

Edited: 11 May 2011, 22:47
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

"About transportation from the dock...can one bring luggage onto a city bus?"

Sure, if the bus comes from the harbor you are not the only one with luggage.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

Bus nr 1 leaves from the harbor about every ten minutes in the morning when the ferries have docked. The bus stop is not quite next to the Marina hotel, but the walk is only about 200 m. If you decide to use a taxi, there are usually plenty of them, and the ride takes only about 5 minutes. Enjoy Turku!

BC
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

We will be in Turku just one day before you!

We are taking the day ferry from Stockholm, because it is supposed to be such a beautiful trip. Will have not quite 24 hours in Turku, before taking the train to Helsinki.

It is a bit hard to schedule around the midsummer holiday.....

The hotels I am considering to book are either the Sokos Hotel Hamburger & City Börs or the Sokos Hotel Seurahuone inTurku. Does anyone know of any advantage of one over the other, or any problems with either of these?

Thanks.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

There's no real difference, just your own requirements and tastes. They all belong to the largest hotel chain in Finland and provide the same standard of service (a good 3 - 4 star hotel level - Finland does not have an official rating of hotels). All three are located in downtown Turku, however, City Börs on the other hand is an economical version of Hamburger Börs (across the street) and most services (such as restaurants) are available only in the Hamburger Börs building.

BC
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

Thanks Zam, I thought they seemed pretty similar, so its just a matter of picking one or the other. They are on offer for the same price.

Hotels in Finland seem very nice and are very good value. I had to spend many hours trying to find something reasonably priced in Stockholm, but even Helsinki has very good prices for our dates.

Hereford
Level Contributor
336 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

We have just returned from Turku, which we visited as part of our trip to Stockholm. We took the overnight ferry and had a glorious sunset, and arrived around 7am. After dropping our bags we got breakfast, then the Moomin Bus to Moominworld for a quite charming experience before heading back to Turku and checking in.

We wondered Turku Saturday night and there was quite a buzz down by the river with live music and other things on. The next day we visited the Cathedral where there was a modern art exhibition which included Warhol works. We then wondered along the river upto the athletics stadium, had a ice cream and then mooched the town centre shops before having a Hessburger!

We are glad we visited, certainly a contrast to Stockholm and found the people very friendly. Found a couple of nice bars and had a delicious dinner in Shamrock Cafe http://www.hamburgerbors.fi/shamrock

I have nt had chance to do my reviews yet as TA is 'pending' my Stockholm ones which is frustrating so dont want to waste my time if my input is nt good enough - mods if your reading I have receipts and proof of all my visits!

Turku
Level Contributor
26 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the love for Turku?

Im a huge tripadvisor fan and I've also been wondering few times why is Turku forum so empty. But for those visiting it's actually a good thing, because it means so many people have not yet found turku - it's less touristy.

I think Turku has lots to offer and in some point tourism will most likely speed up specially after more air routes are opened.