We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Stockholm to Torku

Which Turku hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
from Stockholm to Torku

Hello!me and my husband are travelling to Stockholm on september,20 and we would also like to visit Helsinki.Since our flight arrives at sbout 15.00h. to Stockholm,we thought of boarding the ship to Turku at 19.30,arrive at 7.00 next morning and go to Helsinki by train! we thought we will spend the day in Helsinki and return to Turku and then back to Stockholm with the boat of 20.15!do you think it is worthwhile or would it be better to travel to and from Stockholm in the morning!will we have time and light enough to enjoy the scenery??

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Why not take the ferry back direct from Helsinki to Stockholm rather than spending another couple of hours on the train to Turku? The ferries sail from Helsinki at 17.30, so you'll get a great view of Helsinki harbour, Suomenlinna and many other islands. In the morning you'll get to see the Stockholm archipelago again.

I suggest you spend a couple of hours in Turku. Otherwise you might as well take the ship straight to Helsinki.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

That was really helpful!!Thanks a lot!But my other problem is our luggage,since we will be travelling straight from Thessaloniki to Stockholm ,then on the boat to Turku and then by train to Helsinki!where will we store our luggage until we get to our hotel in Stockholm?Any ideas?Btw the reason we will be getting to Turku first is because our flight to Stockholm wil be arriving at 15.00 so we won't have time to get to the harbour and set off for Helsinki on time!The boat to Turku will be leaving at about 19.30 so we can catch that!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Hmm, your trip planning puzzles me a little, but never mind, it's your trip and not mine.

The Viking Line terminal in Stockholm has lockers but they have maximum storage of 24 hours, which is not long enough for you. If you can't leave your luggage at your hotel in Stockholm (ask them nicely), I suggest you either leave it at Stockholm railway station or bring it with you. You could dump it at the ferry terminal in Turku if you really are going back there (though I can't see why you should), or store it at the left luggage office in Helsinki railway station.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

I would appreciate it,if you told me why our planning puzzles you!!You know we're still planning! What would you have done if you were in our place!How would you organise your time so as to make the most of it? The only thing set at the moment is our flights to and from Stockholm! We arrive at 15.05 on Sepetember,20 and leaving on the morning of September,24!That's why I thought we could visit Helsinki as well!Waiting for your thoughts on that!Thanks in advance!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Why don't you spend a night and day in Sthlm first and take the ferry to Helsinki on your second day?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Well we thought about that too, but we would prefer to stay 2 concecutive days in Stockholm rather than stay one night in Stockholm,then 2 nights on the boat and then one night again in Stockholm!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Logistically it would make more sense to fly from your starting point to Helsinki and take the ferry to Stockholm rather than going back and forth, but I guess you got cheap flights to Stockholm.

Still, you might consider flying in one direction between Helsinki and Stockholm. Flights can be had quite cheaply with a bit of luck.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

Regarding the differnce in price of tickets for two, from Thessaloniki to Stockholm and Thessaloniki to Helsinki read this:185euros to Stockholm (round trip) but a one way ticket to Helsinki is 510!!That is the reason we;re doing it thiw way,plus we want to travel by ship! I had done something similar 4 years ago on a cruise from Copnhagen to Oslo!!It was great!Of course i suppose the scenery in this ytrip will be different!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

i also thought of another option about our lugguge!We can bring it along with us but when we get to Helsinki by train, we can go straight to the port and ask for storage there and then go sightseein in the city!I hope we can arrange that!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from Stockholm to Torku

That'll work. After dropping your stuff off at the port you could easily walk to Kauppatori market, around which most of the top sights are clustered.