We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day stay in Iceland

Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
8 day stay in Iceland

So we will be staying for the last three days in Iceland in Reykjavik and are not sure if we should just book the other 5 days there as well and we will be in a hotel and are wondering if anyone can recommend an airbnb or somewhere else? Currently, we are not renting a car and are not sure if we should rent one for a couple of days or just do the tours. So excited and can't wait! We will be there in early September.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

Booking outside Reykjavik makes sense if you rent a car.

And what's your budget? I would book one night on Snaefellsnes and four on/close to the South Coast.

If you want something cheaper I would book 2 nights in Kirkjubaejarklaustur and two in Hella as accommodation left in Vik is around 600$ per night.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Kirkjubaejarklaustur
Kirkjubaejarklaustur
South Region, Iceland
Hella
Hella
South Region, Iceland
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

Wow--thanks. I am learning that Iceland is quite expensive :) Not sure yet what we are going to do--just in the beginning stages and didn't know if we should stay in one place or not. Have been nervous about renting a car due to reading all of the problems with dings and what not when people turn their car in and it happened to us in the Azore islands and we had to pay $500.00 for the tiny little dent :(

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Canada
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

You will be covering much of the same ground if you stay in Reykjavik for the entire trip, Too much backtracking, Even 3 days in Reyk is something most people find too much. Get out into the countryside and see Iceland's beauty. Rent a car, Just do careful diligence and insure yourself to the max. Booking your accommodation outside of Reyk is something you should be doing ASAP/

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

If you don't rent a car and will stay in Reykjavik this still won't be such a huge disaster. There are enough day tours to entertain you.

Landmannalaugar

Golden Circle

Jokulsarlon&South Coast (best day Jokulsarlon tour is operated by Extreme Iceland)

Thorsmork

Reykjanes

Snaefellsnes

Blue Lagoon

Westman Islands

If you decide to rent a car then you can visit Snaefellsnes+Hraunfossar, South Coast+Jokulsarlon, Reykjanes, Reykjadalur, Golden Circle on your own with a 2WD. And additionally take a ferry to Westman Islands for one day and do a bus tour to Landmannalaugar (requires 4x4 vehicle).

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Jokulsarlon
Jokulsarlon
East Region, Iceland
Extreme Iceland
Extreme Iceland
1,546 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,898 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Hraunfossar
Hraunfossar
498 Reviews
Husafell, Iceland
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
122 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

I think renting a car a seeing more of Iceland would be better. I just need to figure out which car rental company. Any suggestions? I will also need to get the car insurance in case something happens. Thanks, this was very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

They have full insurance (Premium CDW) and good reviews https://www.thrifty.is/

Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 day stay in Iceland

Thanks again--I really want to see the beauty of this country :)

Reply to: 8 day stay in Iceland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted