We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

I am not sure how much money I should exchange from CND to ISK (coming from Canada)? Should I even bring/exchange cash, or just use credit cards? I would feel comfortable with a little bit.

8 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

I found it almost impossible to get Icelandic Krone here in Ottawa. In any case, we didn’t need it. You can pay for almost anything with a credit card - gas, groceries, public toilets, swimming pools, parking meters. If you’re going to take tours, maybe you’d want some cash for tipping. If you think you’ll need cash, there is an ATM at the airport. Be careful not to get too much! Because exchanging it back is just as difficult back in Canada.

Mentioned in this post
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,388 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

Go to the ATM´s at the KEF airport, and take out like 3 - 5 thousands in IS: Try to change the paper money into 100 Króna coins, for toilets, car parks and such. You might also want to tip your bus driver or guide.

All other things you can pay with plastic.

Mentioned in this post
Keflavik Intl Airport
Keflavik Intl Airport
Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland
Canada
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

I got mine at the local Royal Bank of Canada.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

Guess it depends on the branch and the bank. My bank in Ottawa said they didn’t carry it and couldn’t get it. However, on my first trip I got $20 CDN from the ATM at the cruise port, and ended up putting most of it in the donation kettle the next day when we sailed. On the next trip we went cash-free and never needed any cash.

As I said, however, don’t convert too much, because banks don’t really want it back here, and they won’t take coins in any case.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,970 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

We've needed zero local currency on our last 20 days in Iceland

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

We used very limited cash when we were there in August 2016. We did get some cash because we paid for breakfast at one of our places in cash but that was about it. I got it from an ATM when I was in Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

Thank you all, this is very helpful!!

Blowing Rock, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?

Cashless is cool so long as your bank doesn't freeze your credit cards. This has happened to us twice with a Chase - Marriott card and is really annoying and inconvenient. We had given them notice of our travel plans both times, too. Make sure you carry several different cards with you.

A good practice is for your spouse/friend to carry a different card than you carry in case of a wallet loss/purse snatch etc. We do this at home as well as abroad.

Reply to: How much cash should I bring for a 3 day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted