We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips and money

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Trips and money

We are going to iceland next week.

Flying out sun am returning wednesday am.

Whilst there we are looking at whale watching, seeing the lights by boat, ice caving or riding.

Should we book when we get there?

Any reason to book in advance?

Is there any advantage to see the lights on water to land?

How likely are we to see whales in winter?

Any experinces with riding versus the ice cave?

Regarding money.... do we need any cash or can we just use a visa credit card all the time?

Any idea what we should allow for food/drink for 2? We would like 1 nice meal out and i understand the nightlife is great so that would also be on the agenda.i was thinking £300?

3 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
23,540 posts
746 reviews
1. Re: Trips and money

Whale watching in winter will be miserable. Cold, damp, and ROCKING boats. And the seas, skies and whales are all different shades of gray. Not easy to see, and not so enjoyable.

Similarly, don't do the lights by boat. Cold and damp and you can't take pictures from a moving vessel. Land trips are much more nimble -- able to chase the lights where they might be showing -- than a boat trip.

Ice Caving and riding you should book in advance as they may sell out. A land based Lights tour can be booked a couple days in advance. You don't save money by waiting, though, so why wait?

Credit and Debit are taken for almost everything in Iceland, especially tours.

Expect London pricing for restaurants, perhaps a bit nigher.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Trips and money

+1 to post 1. Skip the whale watching and take a land tour to see the NLs. No advantage to try and see them on a boat but many disadvantages,

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
3. Re: Trips and money

Whale watching in november sounds terrible nd unbelievablly cold. But I guess you are not prone to sea sickness. If younare desparate.for.a.boat trip the yoko ono peace.tower is lit.after sunset each evening on videy island which is about 7 minutes away but you wil need to research whre it goes from

Horse riding is good.value but I wouod.check.availability online. Its no cheaper not to book. Ice caves tour involves wuite a trip.from reykjavik and is about £130 nd definitely needs booking. A cheaper alternative is the artificial one at the perlan tking the free bus from the harpa concert hall. Also you can book a half day lava cave tour.

If you are set on northern lights tours reykjavik excursions do a big bus tour or you can go expensive and go by suoer jeep.

One thing you can't book I skiing at the blafjoll ski resort as they need to confirm whether there is enough snow and you need to.check with straeto the public bus system whether the bus is running from mjod bus station.

You can get some.cash from the cashpoint at the airport but mostly credit cards are good. Your budget seems a.bit tight. Research some.menus online. Download the appyhour app.for.details.of where the happy hours. Nightlife is very late to start and more lively on weekends. The town pool at sundholl has hot tubs on the roof and is open until.10 pm and costs 1000 icelandic kronur. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Trips and money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted