We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

Our family of 2 adults and 15 year old are confirmed for Luna Apartments for 8 days, one night Blue Lagoon Clinic, one night Northern Light Inn before our flight back to US on August 5th. We are doing a lot of web searching and feel our accommodations are going to be perfect. Now, how to make the most of our visit without having to mortgage our home. The tours all look so wonderful but times 3 are just so expensive. Would we be missing too much if we just arrived with no set plans and took public transportation? We definitely want to get out on the ocean one day and will be reserving at Lava Restaurant before we depart for home. We want to splurge at times for the "don't miss" things but still keep trip affordable. Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

We will be there in May.

We checked the prices for tours and the cost of renting a car and decided to rent a car, heavily research the locations we will be visiting, and skip paying for tours. A car can cost around $100/day but you can pay that and much more for just one person on a tour. Plus with a car you get the freedon to stay as long as you like.

If you go to the main Iceland page, click the list of things to do and it will tell you the can't miss attractions starting with the most popular.

When I was doing my initial planning I did that search with a map of Iceland in another window so I could see how far away the popular things are from where we will be staying which helped me figure out where we were going to be able to get to.

The big nature attractions are free as long as you can get yourself there- waterfalls, Golden Circle, etc. No admission fee + driving yourself = saving lots of $.

Iceland seems to have a good network of public transit for things close to the city, but you will pay extra to take the bus to places that are far away.

Once you choose the things you want to do, search for them on this forum because for every attraction, there have been a lot of people who have asked about it. I have found this forum to be invaluable for my trip planning.

Also there are some really great people on here who can give you advice if you have a question you don't find listed.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

This is a strange choice of accommodation !

Luna is Ok. It´s about 30Min. walk from the center, but only 15 min. to the beach, 15 min. to the mall, and 10 min. from the ,,Pearl". There is a ,,city bus" station nearby.

But it´s the other hotels that I wonder about. The Blue Lagoon Clinic is only about 300 meters away from Northern lights Inn !!

Entrance to the Blue Lagoon is included in the Clinic hotel, but breakfast is way better in the N.L. inn.

There are no buses or tours from these places, but the N.L.inn staff is easy to negotiate to drive you to the nearest bus stop, the Blue Lagoon. They even take you to the airport for a small fee.

Leaving everything to ,,public transportation is not a good idea, since it is very poor and not very effective. I would recommend touring the Golden circle, the south shore, and you would just love the west coast saga tour.

See the tours: www.re.is and www.allrahanda.is

B-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

Thanks for your great input! I'll certainly check those sites for some tours.

4. Re: Suggestions Welcome - what should we not miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 01:18