We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Hello,

I am planning on using most of a day driving from Reykjavik to Golden Circle and back. Can someone give me a good itinerary of the stops I should make. You can throw in any good places to eat too.

Much appreciated :)

Jeff

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
117 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Smith365,

Re: food, there are few options along the Golden Circle. There's a food stand in Thingvellir National Park that looked pretty disgusting. There are about 4 or 5 places in the village of Laugarvatn, but that's about it.

If it helps you, here's our Golden Cirlcle Itinerary. Maybe it helps you in your planning:

…blogspot.com/2010/11/golden-circle-iceland.…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

When we do the Golden Circle in May we are also going to see Hagavatn and Thingvallavatn, both lakes and I'm pretty sure not crowded by the bus tours.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
99 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Actually I ate a delicious sandwich at the cafeteria at Thingvellir. They have the usual pre-made sandwiches, sweets and drinks. It's probably the easiest option. Another one is the cafe at the Geysir area but it's much busier there.

The main stops we did were Thingvellir (including a snorkel in Silfra which was awesome), Kerid crater, Gullfoss, and of course the Geysir area.

You can see my trip pics and log at http://users.xplornet.com/~mayer/trips/iceland/index.html

Edited: 12 March 2011, 00:53
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

The seven main stops on the Golden circle are:

Þingvellir, where two continents meet, and where the nation of Iceland ,,was born" in 930. There is a cafe at Þingvellir, nothing spec.

Geysir area, good fast food restaurant, (Hamburgers, sandwiches, fries and ,,meal of the day").

Gullfoss waterfall, very good restaurant there.

Faxi waterfall, no restaurant.

Skálholt the southern bishopric, restaurant there.

Kerið volcano, no restaurant there.

Hellisheiðarvirkjun power plant, cafe there.

There are of course many other opportunities for stops, ,,Kodak moments", but these are the main stops, and plenty opportunities for good food.

B-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Thanks for this list of the seven stops plus places to eat- VERY helpful for my trip planning!

Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

thank you

Are the roads from Reykjavik and route around the Golden Circle labeled and easy to follow? I am pretty good with getting around with a map.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 19:50
Chicago IL
Level Contributor
253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Thinking about renting a car when our cruise ship stops in Reykjavik in Sept. About how long does it take to do the Golden Circle tour? Most car rentals are at the airport. Is that a far distance from where cruise ships dock? Thanks for any info.

San Ramon, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Anybody have a map or the addresses for the "Big 3" stops? Kind of helps in the planning if you know where you are going.

Northampton
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

I am also planning to hire a car for a day to do the Golden Circle tour when my cruise ship docks in Reykjavik. Do you have any advice/tips, how did you get on? I've been looking for a map showing the best route, can you direct me to one?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Drive Tour Golden Circle

Perhaps not easily readable but together they work:

…wordpress.com/2011/01/golden-circle-and-gla…

delargy.com/images/Iceland/golden_circle.jpg