We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car- go with international or local chain?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car- go with international or local chain?

We will need a rental car at the end of May and I'm not having the best luck searching older forum posts. We would like to pick up and drop off at the airport.

Which have people had better luck with, renting from one of the international chains or renting from an Icelandic company? I think we can get either a deal or some extra insurance through Hertz, but if they are not recommended we can use someone else.

It seems like there are mixed reviews on both international and Icelandic so I am having trouble making the decision.

Thanks!

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
735 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car- go with international or local chain?

The Icelandic operation of Hertz has had issues in the past (do a search of the archives).

Some local companies are very good. I have used Reykjavík Rent A Car (http://www.reykjavikrentacar.is) and they have my best recommendation.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car- go with international or local chain?

I really don't think it makes a great deal of difference. All the international chains (Hertz, Avis, etc.) are franchise operations and are run as a local company. The rental car industry has expanded dramatically over the past 10 years, and there are now many fine independent companies in this business

The important consideration is what kind of vehicle you want to rent, where you plan to drive, and extras (such as GPS) that you may want. A weekend visit with day trips from Reykjavik needs something different than a 2 week road trip, exploring a great deal of the countryside. Of course, cost factors into this.

In general the big name firms have the newer cars, offer more options, and (perhaps) have a better support system if the vehicle breaks down. You can find the older cars with less features at the local rental operators, who usually do not have an airport rental counter, but pick you up.

Decide on the vehicle you want, and then search all the sites for the best price. Also look at the terms and conditions for the deductible amount (self-insurance) as well as the cost of SCDW, gravel, and theft protection. It all impacts the total rental cost.

FrozenBaz posted this reply a while back, with an extensive listing of rental companies:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k4354…

When you find a rental company that interests you, do a search for reviews of that company posted on this forum. If you use the search function to include the terms "auto rental", "rental car", and "car hire", you will run across a lot of useful information. Sort them by date, so you see the most recent posts.

I have rented several times from both Geysir and Hasso-Keflavik in the past year, and was very satisfied with the results.

http://www.geysir.is/main.html

http://www.hassokeflavik.is/

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Decide what you need, search for the best overall price, and then check what others have to say about that company.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car- go with international or local chain?

Thanks so much for the information!!

I'll check out the prices and reviews, this will give me something to do with my time.

4. Re: Rental car- go with international or local chain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:22