We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do this in 1 day (Snaefellsnes)?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do this in 1 day (Snaefellsnes)?

We will be coming from Reykjavik and I am wondering if we can do all of this/most of this in one day- late May. We are planning to leave very early and come home late and are expecting this to be a long day. If we can't get all of this in, please let me know which to see and which to skip.

Starting from Reykjavik

Gerduberg (an escarpment of hexagonal basalt columns)

seal colony at Ytri-Tunga farm

Budavik (a bay with lovely sand banks and the glacier in the background)

Frambudir (ruins of fisherman's settlement)

Arnastapi-Hellnar trail (1 1/2 miles long)

Rest stop in Hellnar at Fjorusid Cafe (we will probably need to eat at this point)

Malarrif (40 minute round trip walk to see a pair of beautiful sea pillars from a volcano)

Djupalonssandur (black sand beach)

Dritvik (scenic cove, 15 minutes from Djupalonssandur)

Grundarfjordur (the most picturesque town on the north coast, could skip this unless we need to eat again as we are more into nature than towns)

Berserkjahraun (lava feild)

Typing all these out from the guidebook, I realize this is a lot to cram into one day.

I don't know how to decide what to skip and what to see- I think we are looking to see the most unusual things possible like black sand beaches, lava feild and also the seal colony.

So please help me decide what to keep and what to skip. Do I have a good list?

Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do this in 1 day (Snaefellsnes)?

Personally I would skip Dritvík, but this is doable in a loooong day, but you have a long daylight so.....

I see that there are many places/sights not mentioned in your list, but of course you have to choose when you only have one day to make the tour from/to Reykjavik, You can really only ,,scratch" the surface of this beautiful area on a round tour from Reykjavik.

Remember the speed limit, drive carefully and enjoy the tour !

B-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do this in 1 day (Snaefellsnes)?

I'm going by what is in my Frommer's tour book. I have read a number of threads on this area and it's almost too much information for me.

There are a couple of places on that list that I could skip, Dritvik being one of them. I think it might be a better idea to get some of them off the list so we won't have to worry about missing some wonderful things because we're stopping at nice things that are not amazing.

Any other ideas on where to skip, or where to add that trumps half of my list?

Thanks!

3. Re: Can I do this in 1 day (Snaefellsnes)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:18