We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental recommendations

Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental recommendations

Four of us are spending the first week in Aug travelling around (have managed to get accomodation booked) and are really looking forward to the trip. It seems that 2wd will be all that we need and we have been told about icecarrental. Has anyone used them? We're like to find out how old rental cars tend to be (we found in New Zealand that the cheaper local hirers had older vehicles). Any other recommended companies? Also will we have any problems not being able to access the more spectacular waterfalls etc without 4wd (because of hire insurance restrictions)? Thanks in advance for any help - couldn't imagine planning a holiday without the TA forums!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental recommendations

After much checking on here for reviews I have settled with SAD Cars- they are not terribly expensive and have good reviews. I remember that Hertz has a lot of bad reviews if you are looking to go with an international company.

If you search here for things like car hire, rental car and car rental you will find a lot of companies listed. Then what I did was start putting individual companies into the search bar and seeing who didn't have bad reviews, then I went to those sites and compared prices.

It is a bit time consuming to do it that way but we're getting our car for a week so this is a major decision for us.

Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental recommendations

Thank you for sharing your hard work - have a great holiday!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental recommendations

For a good, well established, reliable car hire, with a good service network, consider Höldur/Europcar http://www.holdur.is/en/ It's not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. They are always my first choice. However If you are on a tight budget I believe SAD Cars is a good choice. But I don't have any personal experience with them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental recommendations

I looked at Holdur but in USD they came out to close to $1000 for us where SAD Cars came out to 230 Euros. (I'm not sure of the exchange rate but I know SAD Cars wins this one for us.

Hanover
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental recommendations

OCcat -- Three months later, who did you end up renting a car from and how did it work out?

Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental recommendations

Having been helped so much by TA forums and having had such a great time in Iceland, we thought it was only fair to let you know how we got on. We booked our last night near the airport at Hotel Keilir and their confirmation email suggested icecar rentals so we checked them out, liked what we saw and booked. The emails we received from Mr Gunnarson were prompt, helpful and friendly (even when I mailed him in a panic when I read the road had been washed away just a couple of weeks before we were leaving!). He met us in arrivals having brought the car to the airport and collected the car from the departures car park when we left. The car was clean, reliable, very comfortable (VW Passat) and we got a discount as we were staying at Hotel Keilir. A nice easy transaction - just how car hire should be.

Hanover
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental recommendations

I'll post my results, too.

I just returned from Iceland where I rented a Honda CRV from Europcar for three days. The rental was a bit expensive, but so is everything in Iceland. The rental experience was very easy -- the Europcar staff at the Keflavik airport were great. We made a pre-rental inspection of the car to point out all the dings and scratches already on the body, and to determine what kinds of "wear and tear" was within reason. I also rented a GPS which was invaluable. (I didn't want to try to rely on my iPhone for navigation.)

I drove off the beaten path on "F"-roads which were dirt roads strewn with softball-sized rocks and gigantic pot holes, and more often than not, sharp drop-offs to one side! (Watch out for water crossings, marked by a "V" on the maps.) But everything worked out.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental recommendations

I used reykjavikrentacar.is and they were the absolute best. The had the cheapest rates when i was looking for cars. The car was a 2010 model car which was awesome. Being my first time in iceland i did not want to worry about having car troubles with any older cars so the 2010 was perfect! I didnt even ask for it, thats just the car they gave me. I would rent from them again in a heartbeat. They also have another company/site http://www.icelandcarrental.is which is the same owners

Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental recommendations

reykjavikrentacar is a lot cheaper than the quotes I was getting for a 4x4. Nice tip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental recommendations

No problem. They are very very nice people as well. I can't wait to go back to Iceland! Have a great trip!