We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iceland express rant

Belfast, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
iceland express rant

got back from Iceland yesterday and had a wonderful time (will do a TR later) but had a really bad experience using iceland express.

Myself and my partner had talked about going to Iceland for a while so when IE advertised flights from Belfast we went ahead and booked the flights (which went via Edinburgh). Once we booked the flights we booked accomodation and got a great deal with the only downside with it having to be paid in full and on a no refund cancellation basis.

Two weeks after booking the flights IE then cancelled all flights ex Belfast so we were left with the option of a refund or flying from another airport. Since we would lose our accomodation payment we decided to fly from Edinburgh so had to book flights with another airline to get from Belfast to Edinburgh (cost £160). When we booked these we decided to give ourselves some time at Edinburgh on both the outbound and inbound legs in case of any delays (this turned out to be a good choice).

So 2 weeks after having to book the flights we got another email saying the time of the flight ex Keflavik would be 1.4 hours later than originally scheduled - luckily this would not have an affect on our schedule as we had given ourselves a good window at Edinburgh.

The IE flight to keflavik was about 30 mins late leaving as it had been late rriving into Edinburgh (we came to realise this appeared to be the norm for us).

The day after we arrived in Iceland we got yet another email from IE telling us that our flight would still be leaving on time and going to Edingburgh but would now be going via Oslo so instead of arriving at Edingburgh at 1140 it would now not arrive until 1500. As we had given ourselves a window we were still ok for time for our flight ex Edingburgh to Belfast.

After having a wonderful week in Iceland we got to Keflavik airport and the screen said the flight would depart on time. Boarding was slightly late but we all got on quickly looking forward to getting home....and we sat....and we waited....

Eventually we got an announcement informing us that we were waiting on some people on an IE connecting flight from New York that was late (no surprise there).

The new arrivals got on the plane so we thought happy days off we go but we sat...and we waited....and we eventually got an announcement to say that we were waiting on the paperwork.

Eventually the paperwork arrived and the doors were shut.....woohoo !!!!!

Sadly the ramp connected to the plane had broken so we couldnt be pushed off yet.

Eventually we did start moving but this was 3 hours after starting to board the plane. We eventually got to Oslo at 3pm (this is the time the flight should have landed on Edinburgh. Luckily they were able to do a very quick turnaroud (most of those who boarded at Oslo were going to Iceland).

We eventually got to Edinburgh and even made the connecting flight (glad we had given ourselves the big window in case of delays). Sadly another couple on the plane were not so lucky.

As our plane was taxiing to the runway I looked out the window to see the IE plane was still sitting at the terminal !!!!!!

Would I go to Iceland again ? - most definetely

would I use Iceland Express again ? - NEVER

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iceland express rant

Iceland express don't seem to have a good reputation at all. I am currently starting to plan a trip to Iceland for the winter and plan to use Icelandair.

Sorry to hear about your horrendous flight experience. I think we will go Belfast-London-Reykavik and allow a lot of transfer time in London just in case.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 17:20
antrim
Level Contributor
104 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iceland express rant

You're making me nervous!! We are also travelling via Edinburgh as the direct flights from Belfast did not launch. Have allowed ourselves 3 hours connection each way.Seemed like a long time to spend with the limited scope of entertainment of Edinburgh airport, but after your story I'm glad we are not rushing for a tight connection

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iceland express rant

Thanks for sharing this. We were going to book this route and now I feel better informed. I think I will pay the extra and fly IcelandAir instead.

I was very annoyed that IE advertised a new service from ex Dublin and then 3 weeks later cancelled it and moved ex Belfast instead and then a few weeks later cancelled that as well.

What are they playing at?

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iceland express rant

Glad to hear you had a good holiday in Iceland but an awful journey home.

We flew to Reykavik in March with Icelandair via London Heathrow from Belfast City Airport & BMI. All flights were on time.

I had booked our trip in November '10 before IE announced their Belfast departures & then the withdrawal of the same service.

We were in LHR for 4 hours going & 3 hours on the return journey. Bit long & boring in Heathrow but I would rather be early for connecting flights than panic.

I just wish we had more direct long haul flights flying from Belfast & Dublin, as yet again, we are flying thru LHR on Sunday heading to Vietnam.

Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iceland express rant

Thanks for putting this up, I have flights booked from Edinburgh to Reykavik in early july and although I haven't heard anything from Iceland express I thought that I would just check the times that they are currently scheduling these flights and Lo and Behold the times have each changed by about 1.5hrs, no problem with going over there but on the return it makes a connection back to Belgium potentially very tight.... Well done Iceland Express!!! and thanks for informing us!!!!! once you changed the times.

6. Re: iceland express rant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 November 2011, 22:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iceland express rant

Also see this previous post

tripadvisor.com/…30427892

We flew with Iceland Express & were delayed 5hrs...

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iceland express rant

We just had a very successful trip with Iceland express. Gatwick to KEF, on Monday and return to Stansted on the Friday. Both flights on time and baggage out very quickly. The fact the seats were allocated on check-in was a real bonus compared to other cheap airlines in Europe.

We also booked a 5 day self-drive tour with Iceland Express vacations and I cannot praise them enough for the very good choice of hotels and arrangement of a hertz car rental. The tour itinerary they provided really met our needs. We had a great time - so well done Iceland express.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iceland express rant

Iceland Express has improved dramatically since last year (they have a different airplane operator now), especially regarding keeping timings and avoiding delays. I rarely see IE rant on this forum anymore but that was a weekly event just last year.

10. Re: iceland express rant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:16