We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
419 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

We have reservations at Sjavarkjallarinn (Seafood Cellar) in about two weeks. Just read the last review to see that they are no longer in business! I checked their website, and, yes, they are closed.

If you had to pick one or two of your favorite restaurants in Reykjavik, which ones would they be? I have to scramble, now, to find a new place or two . . .

Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

Hit several places when there in October.. Never ate the same place twice :)

Hope this helps (wrote more than I planned).

Grái kötturinn - for breakfast - Hverfisgata 16a, Reykjavik, Iceland. Small place with big breakfasts. Pancakes, eggs, the works. I suggest "The Truck." Owners got the idea for a breakfast place with pancakes after living in Brooklyn....

Saegreifinn - The Sea Baron - Geirsgata 8, 101, Reykjavik, Iceland - Gofor the lobster soup (as good as people say) and ask for whatever fish is freshest. It's a little shack of a place but well worth it.

Bæjarins beztu pylsur - The hotdog shack near the harbor. Get one with everything. Best hotdog I've ever had (next to Hot Dog Johnny's in NJ.)

Sjavargrillid (Seafood Grill) - Skolavordustigur 14, Reykjavik 101, Iceland - Started with the lamb soup/stew and had the catch of the day. Stunningly delicious.

Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn) - Try the shark and brennivin here. They also have a nice plate of traditional Icelandic foods in appetizer portions.

Vegamot - Vegamotastigur 4, Reykjavik, Iceland - Not a true seafood place but many options on the menu. Had amazing salmon here. Was the dinner special for the night and cost less than some appetizers. There is a bar next to the seating area where you can have drinks before/after.

Brasserie Askur - Sudurlandsbraut 4, Reykjavik, Iceland - very good food. They have a steak buffet on Sunday's. Didn't hit that but really enjoyed our meal.

And I forget the name of it... but across the street from Mokka Kaffi is a Deli with a big yellow and green awning that says 'delicatessen'. Had 'fish cheeks' for lunch there one day. excellent. It might be Ostabúðin...

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

3 Frakkar

Icelandic Fish & Chips

Argentina

Ísafjörður
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

The Seafood Cellar was a very nice restaurant, actually one of our favourites. It's a shame it closed down!!

But if yore looking for Icelandic fish served fusion style, then do check out Fiskfélagið (Fish Company). The menu is very interesting and they take you on a culinary journey around the world / Iceland, whatever you prefer.

The style is fusion, similar to the Seafood Cellar, and it's right next door to it as well, so it's a great second choice.

Though I must say the dessert at the Seafood Cellar is hard to beat :-(

For lobster soup, my personal favourite is Lækjarbrekka. As I write my mouth waters for the lobster soup.

It's right on the main shopping street, Laugavegur, so it's a good place to stop for a little bit while you're walking around.

Enjoy Iceland and the amazing seafood!!

4. Re: Your favorite restaurant in Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:41