We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion regarding how to get to Grimsey? currently debating between

ferry (approx 10 hours)( 8000ISK)

flight (approx 5 hours)(38,444ISK)

I have both time and money, so I am wondering if the flight is worth the cost or the ferry worth the time?

Thanks in advance

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Can you tell us little bit more about the flight. 5 hours sounds extreme. So I assume that you are taking flight from Reykjavik with stop over in Akureyri?

About the ferry, I am also little bit confused about the time you plan for it. The ferry leaves from Dalvik (and the price is right), but it does not take 10 hours. It departs around 9 in the morning and arrives at noon. However you need to get your self either with the bus or car to Dalvik.

The flight is simpler, but if you get nice cruise in north of Iceland with the ferry.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Flight gives me 1 hour on the Island (5 hours = travel/flight/time on Island)

Ferry leaves Dalvik @ 09:00-12:00 and leaves the Island at 16:00 and arrives in Dalvik @ 19:00 (10 hour day 4 hours on Island)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

The ferry sounds much better to me, you will not be disappointed with the sailing. It is very beautiful are, specially at either end of the ferry trip, that is when coming to the island and then while you are still sailing with in the Fjord.

Of course I like ferries :)

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Jenn, make sure you are going on your Grimsey tribute in the short window that it runs the time you specified. Most of the year it leaves as soon as it unloads passengers and doesn't come back until the next day. We are taking the flight since we are going in early June.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Hi TravelBug, both the ferry and flight have same day return services. The ferry gives me 4 hours on the Island and the flight gives me just over an hour.

So I'm trying to decidewhich is better for my intinerary

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Jenn,

When are you going and what company are you using for your flight? My friend and I are also trying to decide ferry vs. flight for an early June trip to Iceland.

thanks,

Melinda

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Hi Melinda, We are travelling the first two weeks of July.

we are looking at Air Iceland:

http://www.airiceland.is/ (about 66EUR/pp)

I used this website for Grimsey info:

http://www.akureyri.is/grimsey/english

This website to book ferry:

www.nat.is/travelguideeng/grimsey_ferry.htm

Currently, the tentative plan is to take the 9am ferry and take the flight back to Akureyri at 14:55. It should save about 3.5 hours.

I hope this helps, Jenn

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

Ah, that makes more sense....in July they have more frequent ferries. I would do the ferry without question if I were you. =)

9. Re: Grimsey: ferry vs flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:16