We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

Has anyone used a US Debit card (mine even says Visa on it) at an unmanned gas station?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

If it has a four digit PIN number it should be alright, I guess. But the safest and best way is to buy prepaid fuel cards at N1, and use those.

upstate ny
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

Sometimes my debit card worked, sometimes not - I have no idea why. As icelandguide says, just have a prepaid card as backup and you will have no problems. They sell them at most stations and you can use your credit/debit card to purchase! I had about 1500 ISK ($12 US?) left on the card and enjoyed passing it on to a traveller just starting out at the rental counter.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

My Visa debit card worked at all gas stations. (It has a PIN.)

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

We are only driving up to Hrauneyjar, then down through Landamannauger to Kirk-Klauster and on to Jokarlson before turning back and taking the ring road to Reykavik (sorry about spelling errors). Are unmanned gas stations likely to be a problem?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
117 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

My debit card (with PIN) did not work at all gas stations (some, but not all). I also noticed that my foreign transaction fee on the debit card was actually HIGHER than on the credit card. However, we had no problems using our credit cards (with PIN) at all gas stations and had a lower transaction fee. For nearly two weeks driving in Iceland, we did not need a prepaid fuel card at all. Unmaned gas stations are no problem (assuming you know your PIN). If coming from the U.S. and you don't know your credit card PIN, be sure to allow sufficient time before leaving for Iceland to get it from your bank. We were nervous about this before going, but found it to be quite simple once we were there.

6. Re: US debit card at unmanned gas stations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:17