We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

october trip

haifa
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
october trip

Hello to all,

I am going with my mom( she is 42 and I am 24) to Iceland at october for a week.

We decided to stay all of the time at Reykjavik (Fron hotel) and we decided not to rent a car and make organized day trips.- I know it is going to be more exspensive and we are going to see less, but we are a bit scared to drive in Iceland in october.(I heard the weather is crazy).

So, I wanted to ask for day trips suggestions and about the clothing, I guess we will need some ski pants and thermal clothing?

Is it really a must to visit the blue lagoon?

Anyone goes in october and wants to make some organized trips together?-I am just afraid there won't be enough people for trips, I am not sure og how many people visit Iceland in october.

And any suggestions for the trip will be nice.

Thanks!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: october trip

Weather can be good this time but maybe cold. However it can be strong wind also. Weather is always changing here in Iceland.

Blue lagoon is loved by many and I think number one for many foreigner

Golden circle is good to and you will need to take bus for that,

Make sure you visit Perlan in Reykjavik ( just use google to see what I mean )

Husdyragardurinn if you like. That is animal park in Reykjavik

reg, Thor

http://www.iceland-information.com

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: october trip

Hi there,

Stayed at Hotel Fron last year in October during Airwaves. Great hotel with very friendly service. The breakfast at the attached restaraunt is ok. Just meats, fruit, breads, yogurt, coffee/juice/milk and a little more. Standard fare that was served buffet style.

Fron is also walking distance to many great shops and the center of town. Excellent location.

We asked from a room in the back to avoid possible noise from the street and were given the room on the first floor right near the driveway entrance in the back. It had an area for the beds, a nice sized bathroom and a sitting area with a couch and TV. (We heard from other guests it was a bigger room than they had. One poiint about it is the beds were single and pushed next to each other. Not sure if you and your Mom would be ok with that.) We didn;t have much of a view but were ok with that as we did see/hear how noisy the street gets at night.

We didn't take any ski pants or thermal clothing with us (but we both like the cold) and most days we didn't have much of a problem. Mainly had jeans and winter jackets to wear.

It rained, snowed, hailed and the sun shone down us brightly all within minutes at some points. So don't be scared of the weather. Dress in layers and take as big/wide as an umbrella as you can.

The front desk folks at Fron will gladly book any tours you need and also can offer advice.

We used www.volcanotours.is from one tour. They said if we booked directly with them, they would have knocked 10% off the price because most hotels get a 20% fee for booking tours (which is why they are so helpful.) Volcano Tours picked up right at the hotel and the guide was amazingly friendly.

We did the "The Golden circle + South Shore in one daytrip by Luxury jeep" tour because of time constraints and while it did skip some tour places, it was just enough for us.

We did the Blue Lagoon on the way back to the airport. It was nice and relaxing. An interesting thing to do but if/when I go back to Iceland, I'll skip it only becuase I've been there now... I do regret not hitting any local pools in the city.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy your trip!

haifa
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: october trip

Thank you both for the reply and the advices, I am getting so excited about the trip :)

4. Re: october trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:16