We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour vs independent travel?

Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tour vs independent travel?

Hi there,

My friend and I are thinking of doing a tour through Icelandic air in October for 4 nights. flights from london, transfers, hotel and northen lights tour is just over £400 total. Im trying to compare to see if we can do it ourselves but at a cheaper price. Has anyone found these tours good value for money and if not, have you some suggestions of what you did to organise it yourself?

Thaks :)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour vs independent travel?

Booking flights and accommodation separately is fairly easy, it may or may not work out cheaper depending on where you book. Bus from the airport to Reykjavik is easy and cheap.

Have a look at car hire costs (Blue, Budget and AutoEurope all seem to have good references for price and quality) and see if you could just get yourself to where you want to go. It means doing some reading and maps beforehand, which I personally enjoy, and maybe monitoring the internet if you want to find out what the weather or the northern lights are doing on any particular night. The bonus with a hire car is that you're not limited in where/when you can go, and particularly are not tied to Reykjavik, where most of the tours depart - you could pick up a car from the airport and stay in the middle of nowhere, if natural Iceland is what you're looking for.

Guides are good at knowing exactly what's out there and taking you right to it, which may make the most of your limited time. My problem with guides is that while they are talking to us, we can't talk to each other. No matter how friendly and knowledgable they are, do you really want to share your trip with a stranger?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour vs independent travel?

400 pounds, and everything is taken care of, seems good deal.

Take it, or take a chance.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour vs independent travel?

The flight/hotel deal they do are very good and you probably wont get it any cheaper, i would say to hire a car but not worth it worth only 4 nights unless you love travelling and wouldn't mind spending most of your trip driving to different places, i did it but on 6 nights and would reccomend for that length of time

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour vs independent travel?

You might be able to do it for a similar price, or maybe within +/-25%. The question really is: is it more your style to do your own thing? I did both organized tours and self-tours, and my favourite day was the day I got my car and took to the road on my own to explore. It definitely cost me a little more, but it was also definitely worth it.

5. Re: Tour vs independent travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 10:18