We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

Hi, I am planning our family vacation in June next year. There are 4 of us including our children aged 18 and 22. None of us has been to Iceland but my husband and I have been to Scotland and absolutely love it there. I recently saw some stunning photo of Iceland and find it very fascinating. I want to spend 2 weeks in Iceland but My husband is afraid that we might get bored since the drive s long and it might be too desolate. Please share your insight especially those of you who have been to both Iceland and Scotland. Should we spend 1 week each in both countries or 2 weeks in Iceland? I am grateful for any comments. Thanks!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

I spent one week in Scotland last June. self drive to Edinburgh and isle of Skye. My family and I loved it there. Amazing scenery and great food.

Next jan we are going to Iceland for 6 days. I am really looking forward to it. Northern lights and spectacular waterfalls and lagoons.

We are a family of 4 adults with the children in their 20s. I would do one week in Iceland and one week in Scotland. But personally I would go to Scotland first. Scotland is amazing but I am expecting Iceland to be out of this world.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

nuggiechan-thanks for your inputs. Like you, I went to west highland and isle of Skye and enjoyed the scenery and food greatly. And that is why I want my children to see Scotland firsthand. However, Iceland looks spectacular too. I do think about going to Scotland first, then Iceland. I hope I would not regret only spending one week in Iceland. Any more thoughts? Thanks a lot. I hope to hear from other TA travel experts as well.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

I live in Scotland, and our honeymoon was an 8-day road trip, managing to get as far as the north of the Isle of Lewis. And we're going to Iceland in April for a similar amount of time. :)

If you only had exactly 14-days, make sure you plan your travel etc to maximise the time you get enjoying the countries. If you count on losing a day each time you travel, one at either end and one in the middle, you're only looking at 11 days between the two countries so may not be enough for you.

It would also mean you wouldn't be able to explore as far as you might like, as after a few days you would have to turn round to make sure you were back at the airport in time.

If you've been to Scotland before then you'll know where you're looking to go and how long it will take, so the main thing would be getting between the two countries, and how this might limit what you could visit.

Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

I have just spent five days in Reykjavik, Iceland and could have easily spent more time there! Although the city itself is small, there is SO much to do with all the tours etc. we went on a trail ride, snorkelling (in dry suits!), golden circle tour, northern lights tour, hike amongst the hot springs and on a glacier...the list goes on! You could easily hire a car and drive it yourself to make it more affordable as the traffic is very minimal. I would suggest a week in both - Iceland is somewhere you just have to visit once in your life!!

Bangor, Maine
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

One week in both countries!

I did a two week tour of Iceland and it was too long. One week would have been perfect.

(Iceland is beautiful dont get me wrong--see, for example, this blog I recently started http://icelandtoitaly.blogspot.com/)

Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

That's a very tough call and depends how much ground you wish to cover. I've been to both Scotland (about a week to 9 nights,including Skye) and Iceland (11 nights) and really loved both. Our iceland trip we were lucky enough to also have 10 days in Wales following that. In Iceland we travelled the ring road (clockwise) and were happy with our pace, but easily could have used an extra 3-4 nights to explore and settle a little more, or add the West fjords. I'm not sure how you can get bored in Iceland!

If you did a week in both, be very realistic with your time in Iceland. Don't try to cover the whole ring road, in my opinion. Pick a region (Reykjavik and the South, or Reykjavik and the Northwest, or Snaefellnses and the West fjords). Having said that we loved our drive through the East fjords and our stay in Seydisfjordur.

7. Re: 2-week vacation in Iceland or Scotland too?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:16