We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

Hi, did a search on the forum but couldnt find the answer. I am arriving in early March, will be staying near Grindavik for first two nights then into Reyjkavik. I am really wanting to purchase a handmade sweater almost as soon as I get there, so I can use it everyday for the 6 days and then for rest of my Europe trip. Can anyone advise the best place to buy these? esp for a good ( comparative) price. I remember a forum comment that someone found a place in Grindavik to buy it. Anyone have a clue as to which store? or else a non tourist trap place in the city.

thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
720 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

You can buy a sweater right in the airport in Keflavik. The prices won't be any worse than in city stores, and may, in fact, be better.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

Since you will not be spending the whole first days in Grindavík, you should look towards ,,the handknitting association" in Reykjavik. Or the fleamarket, downtown Reykjavik, open on weekends only. There are small ,,farmers markets" all over Iceland, and this is also where you should go.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

thank you so much. I will look up the handknitting assn, unfortunately I am not there on the weekend, so flea market is out. flying in on late afternoon Sunday and flying out again on the Saturday, which would be too late in any case. I certainly think I will want it for my northern lights tour, hopefully on the first full day in Reykjavik.

Radio 71 if I cannot find any news beforehand, may well look into the airport places. Seems strange that they would not be more expensive, but the bank exchange rates seem to be better there, so why not the shops. possibly dont pay the really high rents of other airports. Our local airport is NOT the place to buy anything cheaper even without duty.

Reykjavik, Iceland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

Hi there

I agree with what's already been said.

Check out the airport, but better still, scince getting the Icelandic sweater is one of the first things on your to-do list and you are heading for Rekjavik you may want to take a look at a place called the Nordic Store.

They specialize in Icelandic products and even have an online store. You can find hand knitted sweaters / jumpers there and info like types, patterns and sizes.

I bet you could even pre-order one online and pick it up at one of their two Reykjavik locations.

I'm a local and I got my sweater from them and I'm happy with it.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

Thank you Anna. I will check that store out. Not long now.

6. Re: buying an icelandic sweater or jumper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:15