We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

Hello

I wanted to get your thoughts on who you used for your Northern Lights tour adn if you recommend them. I was reading the reviews on TA and they are very mixed when it comes to NL. Some are positive adn others negative all on the same company.

Thanks

Larisa

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

I believe all trip organisers will do their very best to let you experience the NL. But you do have to remember these are a natural phenomenon and no one can guarantee it. Even when the forecast is good the sky may cloud over-this happened to us. But our guide was brilliant pointing out where the green would shine through the gaps in cloud coverage. I think we went with Reykjavik excursions and would recommend them for the guide alone whose knowledge and experience was invaluable.

I would also recommend wearing more clothes than you think you'll need - we were very glad we took more jumpers despite thermals fleece lined trousers etc etc. company provided blankets but some people turned up in. Tshirts and sweatshirts which seemed very bizarre. Boy were they frozen.

Iceland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

Not important what tour operator ... but much more important what kind of tour ... evening tour out of Reykjavik or day tour with golden circle or glacier hike or caving or fontana spa or something else included ... 2 days tour for South Coast and Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon or 2 days tour up to the highland to Landmannalaugar and Hveravellir. Do you want big group or small group? etc. Many different tours ... much more important to choose tour up to your wishes than which tour operator. The best tours are where you accommodate out on the countryside ... the more darkness the better.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

Check the weather on the day. The tour we used set off and told us more or less immediately that we were unlikely to see the lights! We had a disastrous trip into the middle of nowhere, a hot chocolate and returned having seen nothing. Yes, we got our money back.

4. Re: Northern Lights Tour - best operator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:16