We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

Not clear about the differences regarding tours seeing the south coast v. the Golden Circle v. Snaefellnes peninsula.

I have two days in Iceland in early April, and want to see as much as I can pack in, without spending a lot for a private tour.

I'd appreciate information about how the scenery/experience of those tours makes them different, and similar to each other, and which two tours you would suggest.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
533 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

The Golden Circle tour costs 27k isk.

South cost tour costs 37k isk.

Snaefellsnes costs 33k isk.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
533 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

Doing a bit more research, I don't think the Snaefellnes tour is different enough from scenery I've seen elsewhere (is it a bit like Ireland?) to spend 50% of my time in Iceland seeing it.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

Well... those are all good options and hard to compare because they are all different from each other. However, if I'm pressed against a wall I would say that there is a reason why the Golden Circle is often considered the "must do" tour to take in Iceland. It includes a geyser, waterfall, crater, history, geology and the countryside. It's a good introduction and overview of Iceland. And it's the cheapest too (of the three you mention) which doesn't hurt!

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
533 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

The tours you mention are all super jeep tours, which is the most expensive (but best) way to see the land.

These three tours are all very different, and they are to a different areas altogether.

I would choose the Golden circle as the essential tour, and the south coast as the other.

But you do not mention what I would choose as the second one, maybe because your company doesn´t offer it.

That would be ,,Reykjanes volcanic landscape" including underground visit to a real Lava tube, and warm volcanic craters, and boiling ground.

And NO Ireland has nothing like any of these tours, and nothing like Snæfellsnes peninsula !

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
533 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

I kept on researching and think I'll book with Salty Tours for the Golden Circle (7,900) and Iceland Guided Tours for the South Coast (12,000).

Thanks for the guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
533 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Iceland Guided Tours
Iceland Guided Tours
926 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

When you do, ask if the driver guides on your tours are certified or not ;-))

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

Is that a wink-wink, hint-hint? I'm a bit oblivious to subtleties.

Certification should matter to me because....?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

It should always matter if your guides are trained and certified by the Iceland Tourist Board, or just someone that knows how to drive.

That is of course if you are interested in learning about the place you´re visiting, its history and geology.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
9. Re: Please Compare and Contrast 3 Tour Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:17