We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to go to Iceland for six days at the start of March 2013.

Two questions:

1) I've been trying to find single day tours in winter from Reykjavik to Jokulsarlon that take two people (rather than min of four)?

2) Also noticed a lot of tours say to bring hiking shoes - I only have waterproof nike sneakers and find it hard to buy shoes in general - will this be a problem?

Thanks,

Taz

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Hi Taz,

I was just about to post the same query. I am also heading to Iceland in March and I have checked through various tour operators but I can't find day tours (via coach) that goes to Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon from Reykjavik. Seems like its off season now. Only the super jeeps are willing to go which are pretty expensive.

Need some advice from the destination experts here as I really want to go to Jokulsarlon! Made a mistake of basing myself in Reykjavik for a week which greatly limits how much I can explore. =(

Thanks v much in advance!

Cheers

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

A ,,day tour" to Jökulsárlón is 10 hours of driving and 800 Km. So it is equal to two day tours, and it is at least 14 - 16 hours. There fore the price is double. Since all this driving is done in one day, there is no chance to stop at all the places along the way, so you miss out a lot. I do not recommends doing this in one day, but many will still do this for double pay, around 1000 dollars total.

I recommend a two day tour, with overnighting near the lagoon, the difference in price of accommodation there and in Reykjavik could pay for part of the tour.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Hi Both Aully & Taz,

My friend and I will be in Iceland in March as well. We will be there from March 13th to March 19th. We have rented a car and are planning to drive to Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon. It's gonna be a very long day trip, but I think it will be worth it!

As far as I can tell there won't be any boats going out on the lagoon but it still should be a nice sight to see.

We have room for 2-3 other people in our car so if you want to and you are there the same time as we are we can share the trip.

Also for any other day trips you can join us. We have a car from March 13th (when we arrive in late afternoon) to March 16th late afternoon (planning on doing Golden Circle that day), other days are a bit up in the air since we need to wait to see what the weather will do and how the roads will be.

We will certainly go Northern Lights hunting as well!

Taz as for your shoe question, I have the same. I love my sneakers and I really dislike those hiking shoes. I'll be taking the "risk" of just wearing my sneakers. Some of the tour operators say wear hiking shoes because they might get dirty, but I don't care that I get dirty shoes....

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

It's not the dirtiness you have to worry about...hiking shoes (I have hiking "sneakers" if that make sense) have a better tread on the bottom. Iceland gets very wet and slippery and you need more grip than a pair of regular sneakers provide. And unless your sneakers are made of Goretex, they are not waterproof. Unless you are staying in the city center, you need a good sturdy pair of waterproof hiking footwear.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

I have these, by the way. They are heavier and sturdier than regular sneakers but still have the look of sneakers.

zappos.com/the-north-face-ultra-50-gtx-xcr-t…

Edited: 19 February 2013, 00:35
Florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Get high top hiking boots if you plan on hiking, I can't tell you how many times I almost rolled my ankle, the terrain can be rough at times. And yes waterproof is a must.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Jökulsárlón is well worth it.

I've been twice, both times self-drive.

Sep 2011 my wife and I did it in a day trip from Reykjavik. It was a long day's driving, but well worth it. The amphibian vehicles were going out on the lagoon every hour and the weather was superb.

July last year I did it with my 74-year-old mother. There wasn't anywhere we fancied staying near Jökulsárlón, so we started the day in Vik (tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189978-d277…) and ended it back in Laugarvatn (tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g315851-d218…). Again quite a lot of driving, but well worth it.

There's a general 90km/h speed limit while, in good weather, you could safely travel at 130km/h along mile after mile of flat, straight, empty road. I wouldn't recommend anyone breaks the law, but outside the towns we set the cruise control between 100 and 110km/h. And we didn't have any nasty shocks in the post after we got back.

Other

california
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

I just got back. I never wore my boots and did fine in waterproof sneakers. But if you stay out to look for lights or do real hiking, you might want the warmth of the boots.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Hi Icelandicguide,

Yes, I do realise that its going to be a very long drive to Jökulsárlón and it will be best done in a 2 day tour but unfortunately I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik which does not allow cancellations. The hubby does not want to waste a night's stay there too. =(

Hi SdB87,

Unfortunately we only overlap a full day on 14 March as I am flying off on the 15th and have already booked a day tour for the 14th. Thanks very much for your offer nonetheless, enjoy your trip and good light for the lights!

Cheers!

Florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jokulsarlon day tour and hiking shoes vs waterproof sneakers

Hey you live once, we gave up a prepaid hotel and thank god we did, STRONG aurora display we would have otherwised missed, best waste of $130 bucks ever.

People don't get how amazing Iceland is until you go, it is not to be rushed quite the opposite but I guess that is what next time is for, if it ever comes...

Edited: 22 February 2013, 00:33