We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"I don't want to miss the ferry"

Ohio
Level Contributor
436 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
"I don't want to miss the ferry"

My husband and I will be in the West Fjords the last week of May this year. We will reach Isafjordur hopefully, by about noon on May 28. We plan to take the Baldur ferry from Brjanslaekur the next day, on May 29 @ 6:30 pm to Snaesfellness. I have read that the roads vary between paved and gravel and can take a long time to drive. What time do we need to be in line at the ferry and how long will it take us to reach the ferry from Iasfjordur? Since we have a night that we need to still find lodging, should we plan to stay that night somewhere closer other then Iasfjordur? We would like to stop at Dynjandi for a little while for a short hike on the 29th too. We are not planning on going to Latrabjarg as we have seen puffins. So...how many hours actual driving time should we plan so that we do not miss the ferry? We appreciate any help. Thanks

NYC
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

The going is slow and spectacular from Isafjordur to the ferry. You will want to stop often. And you will really have to go very slow often enough. It is a very long day of driving as you have planned. If it is not possible for you to divide the May 29 travel into two days, you will have to leave very early from Isafjordur--like 6am--and be very disciplined about stopping too often and pray for good weather. Personally, I think it is too much pressure for a day. This is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places on earth and you will be under the gun to get from point A to point B. Maybe reconsider the itinerary and find a way to go slowly and spend the night somewhere in the southern part of the Westfjords or by the ferry so it doesn't matter what time you finish driving.

Ohio
Level Contributor
436 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

Thank you Kyle...this is very helpful. The Ja maps of Iceland says it is about 122 km and approximately 1 1/2 hours from Isafjordur to Brjanslaekur But, I, sure that this does not take into account road conditions. I think that we will try to stay past Isafjordur on the 28th of May, a little closer to the ferry.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

The thing is you can take the most direct route possible, but then what is the point of going. The falls are wonderful, but not really so wonderful as to warrant the detour to the Westfjords in and of themselves. The wonder comes from ambling along the roads that run on the coast and taking little detours down some dead ends and stopping to just take it all in, often. The roads are also very steep and winding up, and the same way down, and you have cliffs on the side of the road. You really have to take it easy. And I say this having done the ride on a bright sunny day. I cannot imagine what the roads are like in a rain storm or fog. I imagine they are terrifying. And while you may have 'already seen puffins,' Latrabjarg is spectacular visually, too. There weren't even puffins there when we visited around the third week of August and still it was a highlight of all our worldly travels. Such profound beauty as is found on the way to Latrabjarg and along with bird cliffs is rare in this world. I strongly encourage you to take the time you need to truly enjoy this region--even at the expense of other areas. I think it better to really soak in a place than get just a glimpse of many places.

Ideally, you arrive Isafjordur and spend the afternoon exploring the fishing villages nearby. Sleep that night in Isafjordur. Have one of the best meals of your life by the old port at the restaurant on the dock, Tjoruhusid. Leave early the next morning after stopping at a bakery off the main square for some breakfast goodies and coffee. Hit the road and enjoy the long daylight hours as you ascend and descend fjord after fjord. End the long day on the adventurous little road to Latrabjarg and overnight in one of the two quirky inns there. In the morning, hike the cliffs that look like Ireland--only different and more otherworldly. Then head out and stop at the bizarre aircraft museum on your way to the ferry. Catch the ferry and head to Snaefellsnes.

That's my suggestion!

Ohio
Level Contributor
436 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

Kyle...wow, what a response. This makes me want to go to Latrabjarg. But, I will have to give this some major thought. Our first night in the West Fjords will be in Holmavik. The next day, we are planning to explore the Drangsnes area and then go on to Heydalur for two nights as we want to kayak, ride horses and possibly do some hiking...all depending on the weather. This brings us to Isafjordur where we had already planned to have at least lunch at Tjoruhusid. We had read about the restaurant and it was definitely on our agenda. Staying in Isafjordur not so much. Lodging seems very expensive there. Although there seems to be some interesting things to see and do there. We also like to explore the the fjords too. But, to do Latrabjarg , we would have to give up a night at Heydalur as we already have the ferry tickets purchased and and have two nights reserved for Snaefellsnes just before we leave for home. I don't think there would be time to get to Latrabjarg even if we made just a very quick stop at Isafjordur and then drove closer to Latrabjarg to stay the night and then visiting it the day we take the ferry as the ferry does not leave till 6:30 pm. We have been to Ireland and loved the rugged cliffs there ...as such, we are sure that we would love Latrabjarg as you have described. So...we have a lot of thinking to do about whether to switch our plans to fit in Latrabjarg . Thank you so much for your very detailed and thoughtful response to my question.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

Sorry if i confused things. In fairness i didnt get to some places you mention so you may be getting a different share of "wonderful." I would likely avoid driving into and out of latrabjarg in one day. He road is so rough you can only go 10-20 kilometer per hour on a lot of it. Its great but really shakes you apart. A normal car is fine but you have to go real slow. However you do this, it will be great. Good luck with the bounty of riches you are choosing from. Fwiw, here are some shots of the westfjords (mixed in with others of our journeys in this special country): www.vividearthphotographics.com/p310656497

Ohio
Level Contributor
436 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

Kyle...thank you so much for your thoughtful helpful comments. Also, both my husband and I really enjoyed your pictures ...we leave in 8 weeks and it will be here before we know it.

7. Re: "I don't want to miss the ferry"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:16