We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather conditions for driving

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Weather conditions for driving

I will be driving from Reykjavik to Hofn on Saturday 30th March and returning the following day.

Looking at the long range weather forecast for the next 14 days (which I know can easily change over such a long period) the Hofn area appears to have consistently high winds (30mph – 38mph, often with ‘blowing snow’).

My questions are as follows:

Is this normal?

Will it impact badly on driving there and back or should I reschedule if it still looks the same nearer the time?

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather conditions for driving

There is simply no 14 day forecast that works for Iceland. Anything over 3-5 days into the future and you might as well ask your neighbors cat.

30-38mph wind is officially described as "high wind, moderate gale or near gale". That plus some snow is not unusual in the winter. Regarding driving in such weather to Höfn, it's not really the wind that is a problem but rather the amount of snow. It may cause difficult driving conditions if it's ongoing for a day or more.

I would not reschedule anything now. Like I say, the forecast is useless. Wait until 3 days before and check the forecast then. It will be more reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather conditions for driving

Thanks Northice, that's exactly what I intended to do. I was just wondering how it might impact if it remains as predicted.

I love your analogy about asking the neighbors cat - it did make me laugh :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather conditions for driving

Yes let's hope the best, fingers crossed :)

4. Re: Weather conditions for driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:18