We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

i just came back from Reykjavik, i rented a car through rentalcars.com, the provider turn out to be 'Budget Car Rental' located just beside the BSI bus terminal at Reykavik city centre (their website is www.budget.is).

I booked a Hyundai i10, but when i went to collect the car they upgrade to Hyndai i20 for me for no reason. When the employee lead us to the car, he pointed out the there are few scratches here and there and he mark it on our rental copy.

Long story short, when we return the car he accused us of scratching the left side of the front bumper and wanted to charge us for a 'medium damage' repair cost which amount the over 70,000ISK! (>£400!) We argued with him that those scratches are already there when we took the car, he showed us the rental copy again which show he ticked the scratches on every side of the car but not the front. We are too careless and didn't took any photo of the car before we left, as we took the car on good faith and didn't really pay attention to all details when he tick the rental copy. We argued with the employee, he then called his boss and agreed to change the charge to 'low damage' which still amount to over 30,000ISK (>£250!).

We had been victimised by this company and it totally screwed our otherwise wonderful trip in Iceland.

DO NOT HIRE ANY CAR FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!

65 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

By your own admission you did not check the condition of the car and did not note and point out extra damage. So it is only your word against Budget. How can you be certain that the damage was not caused when the car was in your possession?

Did you take out SCDW, this reduces excesses? The damage you describe can be done by another car.

I have hired in Iceland on several occasions and never had a problem, I take out SCDW and inspect the car pointing out any extra damage I notice and I take photos.

Your experience is not a reason for me not to hire from Budget. Hopefully you have learnt, take SCDW, inspect and take photos. Then you are covered.

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

I did took the CDW, they told me i'm only insured to pay a maximum of 120,000ISK should the repair fees is higher.

Yes it is only my word against budget, but it is what i experienced. My friend took a photo of the car barely after 30 minutes driving when we make a brief stop for toilet. We found this photo and showed the employee, there is no way we have hit anything barely 30mins driving it without noticing. He just ignored our proof and ask us to send an email to the customer service.

We noticed those scratches on the car when we took it, but as this is our first experince hiring a car we didn't took any photo of it before leaving the premise. Both me and my friend are certain we did not caused the scratches on the right side of the front bumper, because if we did we would have noticed hitting something.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 18:27
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

If you ad of taken out superCDW you would have reduced your excess further, looking at their web site to about £100. In other countries superCDW can waive the excess to £0. It looks like a lesson learnt for the future.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

Same thing happened to us. Is there anything we can do. Luckily I took out the additional insurance, but I still had to pay ISK25,000 for a minor scratch that we did not cause.

Is there anything I can do?

Manchester
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

I have just tried to rent and they took the FULL AMOUNT from my account when i have a print off that they are only going to take £44 of me as a deposit

I rang my bank and the confirmed they had taken the money

Someone is tell porkies !!!!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

We always take a good look at our car, even going so far as taking pictures of pre-existing scratches, dents, etc. Thankfully, we've never had a problem. I always make sure that the pictures are time and date stamped or that I've taken them with the rental lot clearly visible in the background. We just returned our car to Budget out at the KEF airport and had no problems whatsoever.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

I highly recommend Ice Rental 4x4 (http://icerental4x4.is/) as a car rental agency in Reykjavik. As their name suggests, all of their vehicles are four wheel drive, which you will want when you get out and about. Their prices are competitive with the big name agencies, and their service is up and beyond the call. I can't imagine having the problems reported here by renting via Ice Rental 4x4. Go for the small local agency to get great service at a fair price.

Norman, Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

YES DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. We rented a car with the super collision damage waiver and were told at the time of rental that everything would be covered. We ended up scraping the bottom of our car on a rock in the road and they refuse to cover anything. We were never provided with the documentation on the exclusions of the insurance policy, but the underside of the vehicle plus any damages from rocks/gravel are not covered. In addition to the $4400 USD they are charging us to fix the car, we had to pay $600 in towing charges to tow the car back to Reykjavik. We were also unaware that we would be liable for towing the vehicle.

They withhold information from renters and ensure that they will be fine. In the end they look for any reason to rip off tourists. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM

9. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 21:37

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!

Rented a car from Budget Sep 1 . The rate they offered was the least expensive. Wanted initially to rent from Sixth Rent a car but they do not have an office at the terminal and they were supposed to wait for us upon arrival. However they did not show up perhaps because our flight was delayed. Budget gave us an extra driver option without charge.The car had already some scratches and dents which was noted by Budget before we rented the car. We also took pictures of the car before going out. I noted that the front left wheel was worn out. The Budget people apologized and changed all the car's wheel within 15 minutes and gave us a free GPS for the trip. The GPS was very helpful.

The compact car we rented performed very well. We got extra ash and gravel insurance but had no damage through the 11 days trip. We had no extra charges when we returned the car. Overall a good experience.

Reply to: warning! do not hire any car from 'Budget Car Rental'!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted