We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

I will be in Iceland in July and I will have a rental car. There are two of us and we are experienced backpackers accustomed to unguided hiking in the US. It seems most hiking in Iceland is guided. We prefer to go alone but where are there trails appropriate for multi-day trips? Suggestions please.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

You can go wherever you like unguided.

The Laugavegur trail is the most popular one.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

I am confused, I thought no tent camping was allowed and one was required to stay in the huts. Are there other recommended areas that may be less populated with trekkers? Thank you again.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

There are public camp grounds where the huts are. ,,Wild camping" is allowed all over Iceland, except in National Parks.

Go on, go where ever you want.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
327 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

Look at this guy's report, some amazing pics/info and it seems that they booked campground sand tented all over the place.

alavigne.net/Outdoors/…

Edited: 20 May 2013, 05:53
5. Re: Backpacking/Hiking Self Guided -Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:19