We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland Advice

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland Advice

Hello Everyone!

We're visiting Iceland in July for the first time and we're finalizing our plans. I would appreciate your thoughts on the below.

Saturday: Arrive Saturday morning. Spend Saturday day, night and Sunday day, night in Reykjavik (possibly a whale watching tour on Sunday from the harbor).

Monday: Pick up rental car, leave Reykjavik on Monday morning. Drive to Golden Circle area, tour key sites. (Is there a good place to hike along this route?) Stay in Selfoss area on Monday night?

Tuesday: Drive along the Ring Road to the East. Hike somewhere along the way? Possibly see the glacier lake at Jokulsarlon? Stay Tuesday night near Vik.

Wednesday: Make our way back towards Keflavik, visit the Blue Lagoon. Stay in Keflavik that night.

Thursday: Catch our early morning flight to Glasgow.

My husband is a photographer so we'll be taking lots of pictures along the way. We'd like to do some day hikes and maybe see some puffin habitats. Is the itinerary ambitious? Are there other stops we should consider? Thank you for your help!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland Advice

There is nothing much wrong with this itinerary.

A good place to hike on Monday, is Þingvellir NP.

Puffins are best seen around Vik, either in the hills above Vík, Reynisfjara cliffs, or Dyrhólaey.

There is however one BIG thing for you to consider.

It looks like you have not booked accomodations, and that is not good. July is peak season, and you might find it very difficult to find accommodation for this tour, so get started today finding places to stay.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland Advice

Hello Icelandicguide-

We have booked almost all of our stay except for one night - the Monday night in Selfoss. I wanted to confirm that that would be a reasonable place to to stay when taking the rest of the itinerary into account.

Thanks for weighing in!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
317 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland Advice

Jules,

After visiting the circle, I would recommend staying at Vik on your first night (tuesday) and then Skaftafell (Fosshotel perhaps) for your 2nd night (wed) since it is closer to Glaciers and also a 30 min drive from Jokulsarlon. Keep in mind that you will have 24 hrs of daylight when you are there...you can pack a lot in that daylight, so staying in Selfoss is not ideal (you can easily see many waterfalls etc on way to Vik and spend the monday night there). Only thing is then your wednesday road trip is slightly long...but it's not that bad for us US folks.

I am telling you all this from my itinerary, I will be there in 2 days.

TP

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland Advice

Hello Tigerphotog-

Are you recommending we stay in the Vik area on Monday night as well as Tuesday? Can we see a lot of the Golden Circle sights on Monday and easily make it south to Vik for our stay? We have hotel reservations for Wednesday night in Keflavik so that we can make it to the airport early on Thursday morning.

Thanks for your help! Safe travels to you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
317 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland Advice

Sorry, I meant to say, stay in Vik on monday night, near Skaftafell (and Jokulsarlon) on Tuesday night and drive back to Reykjavik on Wed. Your monday driving will be just under 300km (checked google maps). On Tuesday morning you will have enough time to see the sunrise at Dyrholaey and some puffins too. Then your tuesday drive to Skaftafell and overnight is just another 140 or so km. You could do a nice glacier hike on that same day in Skaftafell National Park (guided) in the late morning and then visit Jokulsarlon in evening and also in the morning on wednesday (if you want to see the sunrise). Then drive back to Reykjavik on Wednesday (under 380 km/ 4-4.5 hrs perhaps)

My 2 cents, hope it makes sense. The experts on this forum can confirm what I have said above.

TP

Edited: 22 May 2013, 05:22
Keene, NH
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland Advice

I will be in Iceland from Sept. 13-20. Can anyone please suggest an itinerary for me? My plan is to circumnavigate the country seeing all the natural sites (volcanoes, glaciers, waterfalls, hot springs). Is a camping car recommended vs. a regular car rental which then would require hotel stays? Thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland Advice

,,seeing all the natural sites (volcanoes, glaciers, waterfalls, hot springs)" That will take years my friend.

8. Re: Iceland Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17