We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Sighting in December

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Sighting in December

Hi all,

I am interested in sighting the Northern Lights in December in Iceland. Where should i travel to to maximise my chances?

I would also like to visit some volcanoes, glaciers or whale-watching if possible.

Are there any other recommendations for my trip?

Thanks in advance!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Sighting in December

You did not say how long you were thinking of staying in Iceland. That might help to know

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Sighting in December

Stay in Reykjavik, that´s a good place for all of this.

Be clever, book only the first night, and be able to travel to the area of clear skies to maximise the chances of seeing the lights.

Toronto
Level Contributor
305 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Sighting in December

If possible, check the cloud cover forecast with the Iceland Met Office.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

Even if the skies aren't clear directly overhead, the cloud cover forecast can suggest a good direction to drive for better weather. Per Icelandicguide, if one region is forecast to be cloud-covered for several days, you may have to move to another area for clear skies.

The University of Alaska's Geophysical Institute provides forecasts of auroral activity a few days ahead, along with hourly updates of current activity.

www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/

Akureyri...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Sighting in December

Definitely North Iceland, more chance of seeing the northern lights and it has the whale watching capital of Europe, simple northiceland.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Sighting in December

Thanks guys for the tips! I'm thinking of spending 10 days in Iceland. Are there any natural wonders, glaciers or volcanoes i can visit?

For the northern light sighting, are there any recommendation on guides? I may not be driving in iceland and would prefer to have a local to guide me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Sighting in December

I would advise you to book an hotel out in the country for a couple of nights, away from the city lights. That increases your chances although you can never be sure whether you´ll see the lights or not. Here is a link that I used last year before and during my stay in Iceland. northernlightsiceland.com/northern-lights-fo… The lights are magical, hope you´ll get a chance to see them :) Hope this helps!

Westfjords Region...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Sighting in December

Hi, as all of the people here are saying, the country is the best,and North Iceland best of all.

I always base myself in Hvammstangi when i am on a northern light hunt, its the only place where you can travel North, South, East and West in a relativly short time (eg 2hrs) to basicly guarantee finding the lights when used with the forcast on www.vedur.is.....it also makes it good for trips out in the day time as you can go off and see waterfalls, wildlife etc

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Sighting in December

I agree, the northern coast is beautiful but I would first and foremost focus on getting away from the city light to increase your chances :) It´s also nice to be somewhere out in the country for a couple of days as then you can do day tours from the area you are staying in, not just be in Reykjavik the whole time although it´s a lovely city. From there it´s easy to do day tours like The Golden Circle.

Luxembourg City...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Sighting in December

I went to Iceland a few years ago in November and two nights in a row, the lights were amazing and really clear. I spent two nights at Hotel Ranga and that´s where I saw the lights first (my second night there). The second time I saw them was on a guided group tour when we went outside of Reykjavík. Altogether I spent 5 days there. I recommend the Blue Lagoon, it´s open all year round as far as I know. Hope this helps :)

Edited: 12 June 2013, 22:39
London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Sighting in December

he he the reality of this all is that the destination experts in Reykjavik, always recommend Reykjavik as the best place as then you will need to buy some tours out of Reykjavik with them to see the lights. Just use common sense - the lights can be seen anywhere in Iceland if they show up and if the clouds do not stop you from it. Then what you can is of most importance and what other activiites you want to do should be what decides where you stay - if you are into the nightlife yes stay in reykjavik, but if you want e.g. to visit glaciers or go to the nature stay close to some attractions e.g. that is why hotel ranga is well known