We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compiling a list of FAQ for future Iceland travelers,inputs?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Compiling a list of FAQ for future Iceland travelers,inputs?

Hi guys, lurking on the forums here for the past couple months and I realize that the same questions get asked repeatedly - Maybe there is a demand for frequently asked questions regarding Iceland. I have added some to begin with... what are your recommendations?

1. Credit card is king – don’t worry about converting thousands of dollars into kronas

- Make sure it is chip activated and uses a 4 digit pin number because there are a lot of self-help gas stations outside of Reykjavik

2. Car rental – you get what you pay for, try to get a 4x4 to see the best Iceland has to offer.

- The Ring Road is a very well maintained road – if you are going to be on the ring road ONLY… then any car is good enough.

- Other then the ring road all bets are off

3. Telecommunication is fantastic in Iceland

- Bring an unlocked phone – SIM cards from Siminn and Vodafone is widely available for a reasonable price

4. Waterproof everything – from rain jackets to your equipments

- Weather can change on a dime in Iceland. From sun to heavy rain.. but the reverse holds true

5. You can drive around the ring road in 3-4 days.

- But why would you want to? Isn’t the point of going to Iceland is to enjoy the view and the tranquility Iceland has to offer? Heck I could drive across Canada in 2 days theoretically.. doesn’t mean it would be a good idea. In my opinion 7 days would be the minimum

6. Food is expensive in Iceland

- You could always eat at gas stations (fish and chips or burgers) for ~$15 USD. Or buy 2 yogurts (Skyr) which are tasty beyond belief as a meal as well (<$5 USD).

- I would suggest however, to at least go to a restaurant every couple days to experience what Iceland has to offer in terms of cuisine

7. “On the official websites it says road X, or site X is closed. We are smart people and experienced hikers, do you think we will be OK if we brave it?”

- Sometimes the weather in Iceland may not cooperate with you the way you would want it to be. But do you really want to risk your life doing it? In Iceland the one thing I learned to do is to respect the weather… plus, now you have incentive to return!

8. Grab a GPS when driving

- Because there are no way you can ask for directions when all you’ve seen are sheeps for the last 2 hours

- The names are so ridiculously long and unpronounceable.. you’ll be confused even if the road sign is in front of you.

P.S. Thank you for participating!

One last thing, I have a question regarding Brennivin for all of you @

…blogspot.ca/2013/06/brennivin-icelands-nati…

(it'll be nice to hear what everyone has to say about it)

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Compiling a list of FAQ for future Iceland travelers,inputs?

2. You do not need 4wd cars in Iceland unless you want to travel on the interior tracks.

All roads, paved or gravel, are OK in a normal car, you just have to drive more carefully on the gravel roads.

8. No need for a GPS, just get a decent map (a current one with road numbers) . The names are not long and they are easy to pronounce if you give them a try (and do not decide beforehand that they are unpronouceable)

2. Re: Compiling a list of FAQ for future Iceland travelers,inputs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 07:16