We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1 Trip

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route 1 Trip

We're off to Iceland in mid October for 9 nights, and we're planning on driving all the way round on Route 1. Does the following look OK as a plan? And does anyone have any advice on what we really shouldn't miss, or anything we should change?

We've been to Iceland before and spent time round Reykjavik, Golden Circle and as far as Skogafoss, so that's why we're not visiting those areas this time. We're also planning another trip to the Western Fjords, possibly next year, so that's why we've not bothered with that (and looking at a map, it looks like the driving there is slow).

Friday - arrive about 4pm, pick up car, stay the night in Reykjavik (or perhaps further east towards Selfoss, to get a start on the driving)

Saturday/Sunday - Kirkjubæjarklaustur or Hofn for Vatnajokull & Skaftafell National Park

Monday - Seydisfjordur or Egilsstadir

Tuesday/Wed/Thursday - Myvatn, Akureyri and Husavik. Perhaps base ourselves in one, or spend two nights in one, one night elsewhere? At the moment, we're leaning towards two nights in Myvatn and one in Akureyri (obviously there's the whale watching in Husavik, but my wife gets badly seasick - even on cross channel ferries on calm days - so that may be out anyway)

Friday - Perhaps somewhere on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. Any suggestions?

Saturday - has to be Keflavik because the flight leaves at 7.30am on Sunday

Finally, I'm guessing the Kjolur route will defnitely be closed by mid October? It's not important, but it would be interesting to drive it.

Thanks - long post, but any advice or ideas gratefully received.

Ohio
Level Contributor
435 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 1 Trip

David....we visited Iceland in mid May for 17 days which included 4 days in the West Fjords. Absolutely loved the West Fjords and are entertaining thoughts of returning to spend much more time there. However, I have just a couple of thoughts about your currant itinerary. On Monday, you say Seydisfjordur or Eglisstadir.....Seydisfjordur is a very lovely scenic fjord town, well worth a visit that has many things to do there. There were also very few tourists there. But to get in or out, you must cross a mountain. We had planned to stay 2 days, but ended up staying 3 because a winter storm developed suddenly and even though we attempted to cross the mountain during it to stay on our schedule, we were unable to get across the mountain. We wisely returned to Seydisfjordur for another night and hastily developed plan B. This was not the only time that we used plan B as we encountered more snow storms in the West Fjords. But...often plan B turned out better then plan A. We were very flexible. .So...if you decide to go to Seydisfjordur ....be aware of the possibility of snow storms ....but even knowing this now, we would still have gone there.

My other thought was about Husavik. This is another lovely scenic town. We did go whale watching even though my husband also suffers from sea sickness.....but even though the boat rolled heavily, he had no problems. He has more problems with ferries. But, the activity that we loved the most in Husavik, was riding Icelandic horses along the seashore at Saltvik ....it was magnificent. Words can not describe it. As we stayed at Saltvik, we did not ride with a group, only the owner and one of his workers, Paula who helped us learn to ride in a tolt...unique to Icelandic horses. This was a great experience.

We also stayed for 2 extremely rainy days and nights on Snaefellsness at Sudur Bar. This is a nice guesthouse with a beautiful view. But, for us after falling in love with the West Fjords which had few tourists in late May, Snaefellsness was very crowded. Maybe in October it will be less so. Regardless, have a great trip.

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 1 Trip

Thanks for that - we thought Eglisstadir has the advantage of being on Route 1, but looks, well, perhaps not the most attractive town in the world. Seydisfjordur is obviously a bit further, but sounds like it's worth the effort, weather permitting.

My wife has been on a small boat in Greenland, and wasn't sea sick, but apart from the channel the boat was using, the sea was frozen and it was a calm day, so the boat was barely moving. Maybe we'll play it by ear and look at the forecast - obviously it can get a wee bit windy in Iceland (we had trouble getting out of the car one day last time). I'll look into the riding as well - thanks for the suggestion, I never thought of it.

The West Fjords are somewhere we really want to visit, but I'm freelance and can't take more time off, so that'll have to be next time.

3. Re: Route 1 Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:18