We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

Buffalo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

I'm heading to Iceland from Oct 5th to the 17th and I was planning on driving around the country and seeing what I can in that time frame. I've come up with a basic itinerary, but I know myself and I am terrible about planning to much to do in a day's time. So, I've done a bunch of research (my eyes are feeling a bit crossed) and come up with a general idea. I would greatly appreciate any input, especially if there are specific places I should make sure to see or places that are unlikely to be doable in my time frame or in the time of year I will be there. I generally prefer outdoors and nature type activities and am a "budding" photographer. This is a solo trip, so I only have myself to worry about. The biggest "activities" I would really like to do are whale watching (even though it's not the best time of year), horse riding (any suggestions as to where would be wonderful), and possibly a bird hunt if finances and time allows?

This is what I have thus far:

Oct 5th (flight gets in at 6:30am) - Head out straight away, going to Hvalfjorur - Reykholt - Hraunfosser - Banafoss - Kaldidalur (check with rental company and weather, from what I've read may not be possible or advisable) - spend the night in Borganes

Oct 6th - Budir - Songhellir cave in the area) - Snaefellsjokul - Grundarfjordur (spend the night)

Oct 7th - Stykkisholmur - Helgafell - Akureyri (stay the night) *I was considering going to Holmavik, but am thinking that is trying to shove too much into to a day. Based on what I've read on this and other forums I am (extremely regretfully) cutting the West Fjords out of this trip. They will have to be the center of a next trip, whenever that happens.

Oct 8th - Explore the Akureyri area, then heading to Husavik for the night. Seeing Godafoss on the way.

Oct 9th - Whale watching and exploring Husavik, head to Lake Myvatn for the night.

Oct 10th - Spend the day in the Lake Myvatn area, stay there that evening

Oct 11th - Leave Lake Myvatn, heading to Dettifoss and Jokulsargljufur. **This is where I'm getting a bit uncertain again. I'm thinking about heading to Porshofn and/or Vopnafjordur and staying the night there.

Oct 12th - Eglisstadir - Bakkagerdi - Seydisfjordur

Oct 13th - Hofn - Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon - Vatnajokull glacier - Skaftafell - stay in Kirkjubaejartlaustur

Oct 14th - Kirkjubaejartlaustur to Vik to Hella (or Selfoss?) stay the night there.

Oct 15th - Golden Circle

Oct 16th - free/extra day (can be planned or used to stretch out time in a different place)

Oct 17th - Spend some time in Reykjavik then go to the Blue Lagoon before my 5pm flight.

Thank you for any and all of your input! This will be an only trip to Iceland for me for quite some time so I would like to see as much as I can, but I also want to enjoy it and not running around like a loon the whole time. I tried to plan for that, but it's not my strong suit yet.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Whale Watching Hauganes
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Whale Watching Hjalteyri
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Salka Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
North Sailing
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

This looks alright, if weather allows. I think a decent AWD should do it.

There is not much to add, except ,,Góða ferð" !

Buffalo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

Thank you, Icelandicguide. Do you have any suggestions for "better" places to go horseback riding or should I just go where/when I have time? I'm an avid horseperson, so I am extremely excited about riding an Icelandic horse in Iceland!

Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

We stayed and rode at Saltvik Horse Farm in Husavik in May of this year. It was outstanding as we rode along the seashore. They also offer rides in Myvatn....but, we preferred Husavik.

Mentioned in this post
Myvatn
Myvatn
41 Reviews
Iceland
Buffalo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

Thank you, Sinaigirl! That is one of the horse riding places that I was looking at, I will check with them about their options when I will be there.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

This looks really good to me. Stykkishólmur is also very nice for accommodation.

I would recommend you to do Guided glacier hike in Skaftafell.

Have a great trip !

Helga

Buffalo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

Thank you, Helga! I will look into the glacier hikes. I'm pretty excited to see one, that's something we don't have in MN, although it gets cold enough for them!

Buffalo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

Couple of quick questions.

1. Are there any places that are absolute must eats? I'm going to be doing some grocery store shopping, but I also want to eat out several times. I have no dietary restrictions, will try anything at least once, and am a fairly adventurous eater.

2. This may be something I should ask the individual tour operators, but is it better to wait to make reservations a couple days ahead of time in case the weather isn't cooperative?

3. Lastly, is there a good place in particular to get souvenir type things? I don't want touristy crap that was made in China or elsewhere. I'd like stuff that was made in Iceland with Icelandic materials. I feel pretty strongly about supporting small and local businesses as much as possible. While I don't have a lot of money (comes from working in a small local business myself) I like to spend what I have where it actually counts. It's nice to have something that is truly well and representative of the country as well.

Thank you again! I cannot believe I'm leaving in less than three weeks!!

8. Re: October Itinerary help - 5th through the 17th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:18