We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please - the name of this place?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Help please - the name of this place?

I would like to use this reference please, but I can not remember the name - if I ever knew it that is, and I don't think I did.

It is a hot pool/spring, located at the end of a longish board walk. TOO HOT for bathing it is fenced. It boils and bubbles out the ground/small hill. I don't remember where my group were, nor where the guide was.

It would be in an area on regular bus tour by Iceland Excursions. I think it might on the Golden Circle, but could also be Landmannalaugur. It is beautifully warm just standing around it, and many were, including me. I am also fairly certain that there is comfort/food stop near by as well.

The other areas could between Reykjavik - Borganes/Reykjaholt, , Reykjavik - Stykkisholmur

Reykjavik - Jokulsarlon, or Reykjavik - Thorsmork,

Sorry I know it is a big ask, and I am not providing much to go on, but I would like to have it's name if possible, Please can one of the 'locals' think where it might be.

Thank you

Edited: 08 October 2013, 06:14
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Photo please.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Bugger I did not take one. I had not considered its significance until now.I had escaped the guide, and wandered around by myself. I just followed the boardwalk to see where it would take me, and an Icelandic man stopped me to talk. Then I had to leave to re-board the bus. Because I was alone I did not know where this place was. I thought this might be the answer I would get. I am fairly sure it is either the Golden Circle, (and it is not Geysir_) or Landmannalaugur. where I was also alone, a bit to listen. Most of the others had gone bathing. It was a small thing and bubbled out of the small hill, and sort of ran down like a stream/small river. It was Boiling and had a small fence. Thank you anyway Icelandicguide. I can see it in my mind very clearly. :-)

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Could be Hveravellir

https:/…

naturephoto-cz.com/photos/soural/hveravellir…

photo.is/pic/0806_Icelandic_Polarbear_kps2.j…

;-)))

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

No It is not there, I remember this place I was with 'you know who,' and weeks ago. It was not coming out the flat ground, more from a small hill. And it was HOT!!! Thanks anyway It did look similar little fence...

But I would have remembered the bear :-))))))

Edited: 08 October 2013, 13:29
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

This is Blesi in Geysir area: www.flickr.com/photos/sergioo/3323091153/

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
630 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Deildartunguhver ?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

No board walk there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Nope and it is too big, but Thank you. It is still a mystery. Icelandicguide, Does Landmannalaugar have another board walk as well as the one that leads to the bathing pool?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

You could try (1) contacting the tour company, (2) Google Earth, displaying photos, panning over likely terrain at a close zoom and clicking on photos at likely locations. There aren't many touristed places that still lack uploaded photos.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please - the name of this place?

Nope, not Landmannalaugar. There are very few places with a boardwalk, and a clear hot spring at the end.

Could it be Seltún, Krýsuvík? A winding boardwalk, with a viewing platform, and boiling mud pools, but not clear water pools.

Another is Snorralaug, the famous pool of Snorri Sturluson, but no boardwalk path, but regular gravel path.

Another is a pool on (or just before) Snæfellsnes, but that one is a perfect bathing pool, and no boardwalk.

The only hot spring I can imagine, where others took a bath, and you could have walked away on boardwalks to see other pools / springs is Hveravellir, on Kjölur road.