We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

This is a duplicate post with a better Subject line.

I'll be looking for fuel for an alcohol stove. (The brand name is Trangia, but the generic category is alcohol stove and includes "cat can" and "soda-can" DIY versions.) It will burn a fairly wide variety of alcohol or methanol fuels. The great advantages of such stoves for travel are that they can legally fly(without fuel) in checked baggage, and that fuel is usually pretty easy to find upon landing. In the US, I use HEET fuel line de-icer sold at many gas stations in yellow bottles. In Latin America, one would buy high-concentration rubbing alcohol at a pharmacy, or a cheap highly distilled drinking alcohol. (Denatured alchohol with a high concentration of alcohol works fine, but rubbing alcohol at the dilute concentrations commonly sold in the US doesn't.) I expect a vodka or aquavit could be used in Iceland, but at too high a cost to be a good choice. Google searching has pointed to this quote: "We both used home-made beer-can alcohol stoves. The fuel we used was something called Rod Spirit, available at gas stations by the name T-Röd (it's pink). This isn't exactly denatured alcohol, but worked fine... though it was really sooty" Anyone have a better suggestion?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

You get what you need at Ellingsen and most OLÍS gas stations

ellingsen.is/verslun/…29324

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel , not alcohol or methanol, and would not be safe for use in an Trangia or equivalent.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

The Trangia I'm talking about is what they call their "spirit burner." trangia.se/core/…names_of_fuel_130128.pdf says the Icelandic name to seek is "vinandi/spiri" or "Raudspritt."

Alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

I use methyl hydrate (methanol) in my cat can stove when hiking in the Canadian Rockies. It is widely available anywhere where paint or auto supplies are sold. Surely this exists in Iceland?

I'm interested to hear how you make out... we are going in May and I could have the same question then.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

dreamer, see that other thread, tripadvisor.com/…53633036 , where the OP now gives the answer that worked for them.

6. Re: methanol or alcohol stove fuel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:20